2012 Nissan Frontier Consumer Review: I'd Buy it Again

2012 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Review

S King Cab (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed)

I'd Buy it Again
By bansko on

2012 Nissan Frontier S 4dr King Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 8,000 miles on this truck so far, including hundreds on gravel and dirt through a Wyoming winter, and I have no regrets.
No warranty issues of any kind.
The V6 has plenty of power and the steering and handling are excellent on and off pavement.

I considered the Tacoma since I like the looks slightly better, but Toyota has had some serious quality/recall issues with the Tacoma over the last 10 years.
That, and the fact that toyata wants a few thousand more for an equally equipped truck leaned me toward Nissan.

The Frontier is indeed a rugged, no-nonsense truck.
I expect to drive it for many years.
BTW, JD Powers just ranked it the top midsize pickup for 2012.

- Six speeed manual transmission - Heavy duty frame - Smooth ride on highway, confident ride off-road - "Utility" package with spray on bedliner and Utilitrack system for securing cargo. Very practical. - Dual glove box - Outside temp display on rear view mirror

- Improve access to oil filter. Very difficult to use a strap wrench or oil filter "cup" wrench. I bought a supply of K&N oil filters with the one inch hex head and that solved the problem. - Include 245/75/16 tires with the 16 inch alloys instead of the stock 265/70/16 tires. The narrower tire would be a little better on snow and ice. That's what I'll replace the stock tires with eventally. 265's are a little overkill on a truck this size. - Include a simple trip computer with MPG, miles to empty, etc. Even my dirt cheap Cobalt has that.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By truckdriver6
on 08/30/16 14:47 PM (PDT)

I also have a 2012 Nissan Frontier SL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A. Bought it new. It now has 44,000 miles. I just recently had to replace the rear final drive Nissan part number 43003-EA012 due to leaky seals and it started to whine. The dealer said there was a lot of water in the differential when it was looked at. I researched this on line and found out that the differentials of the Frontier and Titans only have a small breather valve (part number 43010C) that looks like a valve stem cap that can become clogged or allows water to be sucked into the rear end. The dealer did replace the entire final drive on warranty but I do not want this to happen again so I did a "vent modification" by replacing the breather valve with a Toyota part # 9040451026 and approx 7' of 1/4" fuel line and a 1/4" fuel filter (lawn mower type) attached to the end of the line and routed up into the back of the right rear tail light. You can find more info on this if you search "nissan frontier rear axle vent mod" on line. I want to say that I like this truck but this is the only thing that needs to be corrected.