Used 2005 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Excellent in so many ways
By David

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the NISMO Crew Frontier for quite a while now, and I KNOW that this is the last vehicle I will buy. I fully intend to drive this truck till the wheels fall off. Pretty much everything is gravy... first off, it is love at first sight on styling. Interior is decidedly untrucklike, in fact better than most sport sedans. Power and handling is exceptional, in all situations (I have driven it in ice, rain, LOTS of pavement, snowy mountain roads and a bunch of Moab UT offroad). Amenities such as the Rockford-Fosgate systems are fantastic, and the cargo accessories invaluable. Only little gripes are the fuel economy is a bit low (although expected) and an external MP3 jack would be nice.

Styling, amenities, comfort, power and handling, cargo accessories.

External MP3 jack (already addressed in later models I think). Option for navigation system.

2005 NISMO 2WD
By ras1500

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Nissan product and both have been extremely reliable. The NISMO is a great truck with plenty of acceleration and fun to drive. Fuel mileage is around 20 MPG combination city/highway. The build quality of this truck is not as good as my Japanese built '99 Pathfinder; sealant in the pickup bed is sloppy and there's some glue on the headliner.

Good performance and handling. Reasonably good ride for a truck.

Nissan has the worst paint in the industry. Brushing against the vehicle (including my '99 Pathfinder) with anything harder than a terry cloth towel will scratch the finish down to the primer. Both my cars are black, so the scratches are visibly obvious.

The next generation
By zoom

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned several Nissan products. My last truck was a 98 king cab with a 3.3 v-6. I had a guy come to my house and request to buy it, seeing the next generation truck I agreed. He is completely happy as am I. My Nismo is so much better in every way. I can get over 21 mpg on the hwy, mixed driving around 18.5. The power difference isn' even close,this truck will haul, drives great, rides great with 31.5 psi in the tires. In my opinion, and I have owned all domestic vehicles, this is solid satisfaction!

Handling, looks, awesome power, in my case good gas mileage, reliablity, comfort, set tire pressure 30+psi. The bed rail system is great for hauling motorcycles.

Tire pressure monitors are not accurate,t here is one or two on my truck that goes off at 31 psi when they are supposed to go off at 28 psi. Even at a rating of 267 hp there is a lot of room left and can still be reliable, unleash the ponies. Just a little better seats.

Great truck
By Dave

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I feel in love with this truck as soon as I saw it. But looks were just what got me started. It handles well, is comfortable to drive and has made life a lot easier when it comes to working around the property, because it goes just about anywhere.

The great look. It has a style that other trucks don't have. The NISMO package means I can go just about anywhere I want. The interior is great and the sunroof and stereo make it even more enjoyable getting there.

My one and only complaint is so minor it's ridiculous. But, I think the cup holders need to be moved from the current position to a place on the front dash where the old ashtrays would have been.

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4cyl Auto
By EYECAT

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a new 2005 in Jan-06 in Jun- 07 I have 80,000 miles on it. This is my 5th Nissan I have purchased for use in my business and the only major thing I have ever replaced was a clutch at 200,000 miles. My last was a 1997 & I replaced 2 clutches, a starter & alternator. I traded it at 487,000 miles & the others were over 300,000 miles. I got them all from the same dealership. Now at 80,000 miles the transmission seal leaks & the flange in rear-end went. Nissan dealer said it would take 10days to get the part. The same dealer sent my mechanic the wrong part 3X. After 2 wks & 20 calls to corp. no one returns my calls & no answers when they'll have the right part made, no loaner.

Exterior looks good

Truck too large for a 4 cylinder. Corporate & dealership needs better customer service. Gas milage is terrible only 20mpg (my 1997 got 28mpg with 487000 miles)