Used 2005 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Not sure
By spiff

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A good solid truck with a lot of promise. I have owned it for 3 years now with nothing major wrong with it. Just a lot of little things. Things like gas cap door spring falling off, door handle cover falling off, ac ducts came loose, rear bumper lights becoming loose, rattling in the exhaust. I have to say it hauls a load well and the bed track system is great.

The bed track system, power, ride.

Could be put together a little better. More chip resistant paint.

Sportscar with truck bed
By JimInFLA

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab LE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '05 Frontier 2wd used w/ about 10k miles. Traded in an '02 Chevy Avalanche. It was great but the gas was killin' me and we don't need the 4wd in FL. My Fronty has plenty o' power... it's like a sportscar w/a truck bed, I swear! I love the bed's adjustable tiedown system. Not crazy about the roofrack but it does have a sunroof that is nice, although I mostly run the A/C. I'm a lead foot and I can get about 17-19 mpg doing about 75-85 mph on the highway. It's squirrely in the rain b/c it's sort of light in the backend like my old '98 2dr Tahoe. The front seats are uncomfortable on long road trips. They also need to redo the center console so you have an elbow rest.

Good strong engine. Tiedown system in the bed. A/C runs good. Gas mileage isn't bad for a truck.

Need to be heavier in the backend, the rearend can get slippery in the rain. The front seats stink! The lumbar hurts your back afte riding for hours and I feel like they make you sit too close to the windshield, too far forward. They also need to redesign the center console. It's too far back!

Started out amazing, but...
By fronteeer

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've written a few favorable reviews about this truck, but it's had a few major problems and I'm afraid it might become a liability soon, since the b2b warranty's gone and the power train is close. Nissan replaced the entire HVAC unit because it only worked on hot and cold, and they couldn't fix it. I recently had a belt and tensioner changed to get rid of a loud squeak when idling cold. The fuel gauge went nuts and I had to have everything changed from the gauge back. Now there's a loud clunk coming from the drive train when I accelerate while turning, in both 4x2 and 4x4. Sometimes the steering wheel pulls so hard to one side after turning, I have to basically stop and let it go.

Great looking truck, very powerful, comfortable, sporty handling, configurable seating/cargo space, big wheels and tires, very high quality breathable seat fabric, towing and cargo capacity.

More room in the back, better rear seat angle, more resilient paint and galvanized metal to avoid chips and rust, improved reliability. Mine might be worse than others, but if others are using this truck off-road and not breaking it, I'd be very surprised.

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab
By silverbullet77

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab LE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, there is a reason my handle is silverbullet. These new frontiers will get up and leave just about any other truck on the road, plenty of power, plus a little more in mine, comfy interior, beautiful design, and all around nice ride.

The power plant, design, and anything else you can think of.

My only suggestions for improvement are that the truck has a horrible turning radius and the the location of the gas tank will not allow for a duel exhaust, the only exhaust kit I could get was a right side exit.

Cross country journey
By Mike Q

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drove from west coast to east coast towing a vw golf completely packed, with the truck bed overloaded as well. Power to get up and over the rockies no problem. Reliable and rides like a cadillac compared to my previous audi tt. Never owned a pickup before, and I'm not disappointed.

The engine. Towing capacity, the ride, off road ability.

Better seats. Trip computer should be standard feature.