Used 2005 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Wouldn't trade it for anything else
By fronteeer

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'm so glad I bought this truck. I'm the kind of guy who trades vehicles every few years, but the Frontier will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. During the second year I was concerned about its quality because of a few manufacturing defects that showed up, but Nissan handled them with impeccable professionalism and I haven't had any problems since. It is the first year of this new model, so some issues are to be expected. That aside, the reliability and capability of this truck has been nothing short of outstanding. I have an old Honda that I drive when I'm not towing or hauling, so the fuel economy isn't a major issue for me. When I need the power, it's there, no compromises.

Very strong engine, capable 4WD, Utili-trak system and spray-on bedliner, predictable sportscar-like handling with very little body roll or over/understeer, exterior styling, crew cab, interior materials (particularly the seat fabric) is of very high quality and is very durable.

Front tires sling rocks at rear fenders, so without step bars to protect the rear fenders they will be full of chips. A/T tires make it worse. Galvanization, if any, is too thin as paint chips tend to rust quickly. Plastic fenders like the Taco, or at least factory-applied 3M tape, would help a lot.

Disappointed in Nissan
By LK Texas

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Nissan pickup (80,82,05). Of the three I am really disappointed in the quality of the vehicle. I ONLY have 26,000 miles on it and already the exhaust manifold requires replacement (TSB was not sent to me), my fuel gauge sending unit is shot, and the wiper reservoir cracked. I will end up doing all the repairs as I will not pay for dealership service. Only good thing is I put on a Gibson performance exhaust, a custom CAI with a AMSOIL intake filter, replaced ALL fluids with AMSOIL and I am now getting 25 city and 33 highway. If nothing else goes out I will keep it. Otherwise, I will consider another manufacturer.

Increased interior room, suicide door design, more H.P. in the engine than earlier models.

Better communication between Nissan and owners on TSB's and faulty parts. Hire better procurement and quality people!!

Be very careful!
By Bad Truck

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is a huge headache. I've had an enormous amount of trouble with it. Most of my problems were cosmetic related including a roof leak that Nissan can't seem to fix. Had the seal replaced three times and the windshield replaced once and it still leaks. Along with that the brake master cyl went out at 500 miles, bumper has been replaced twice, belt tensioner has been replaced three times, Window control module needs to be replaced, the timing belt system had to be replaced due to a technical service bulletin (only covered if the vehicle is under warranty). Do yourself a favor and buy a Toyota or Honda. I made the mistake of buying a Nissan because it was less money, bad move!

The best thing about this whole truck is the power, stereo system, bed tie- down system and all the nooks and crannies for storage.

This truck needs better quality materials from the outside in. Everything from the plastics to the rubber are cheap.

Happy Nissan Owner
By Miasbuddy

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab LE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Nissan and I'll never again buy anything other brand. My truck is sturdy and safe. Handles very well in all types of road & weather conditions. Has plenty of power and I can hold my own on the Interstate with the 18 wheelers. Driver's seat is very comfortable for my bad back. I've had no expenses outside of routine maintenance with any of the 3 Nissans. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Frontier to anyone looking for a reliable pick up truck.

Handling on icy roads is excellent. Comfortable seats. Reliability.

I can't ask for any more.

Not too bad
By bosoxer

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first Nissan and although I've had some problems with it, I still really enjoy it. For some reason, my drive train was "falling off," so that was fixed. Had problems with my heating system, which still was completely fixed, and a few little things like an emissions sensor, and windows power unit. I'm a bit nervous about how much has gone wrong in 3 years, as my truck only has 35,000 miles on it, and I do not ride it off- road. The power is tremendous in this truck. It really gets up and moves. The turning radius is horrible. The ride is smooth however. Keeping my fingers crossed on future repairs as my warranty ended this month. Would still recommend this truck.

Power. Interior. Bed track system.

Longer lasting parts. Better turning radius.