Used 1998 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

A great little truck
By timv11

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck for just over 2 years now. Bought it with 76,000 miles on it. I think I should have bought the extended cab but I really like the truck otherwise. I have had 720 lbs. of hay in the back and it ran just fine. It is more than enough truck for going to the hardware store or the dump. I use it as my commuter, around 70 miles a day. I would highly recommend this type of truck to anyone.

Comfortable bench seat, room for everyday hauling, very utilitarian, reliable, repairs are relatively inexpensive

All little nit picky things. The gas mileage is a little disappointing. Only one cup holder doesn't help the passenger. Engine is a little gutless going up hills requiring downshifting. The glove box barely fits the owners manual.

The Devil is in the Details
By angelbane

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First 40K in first 2 years. Has always gotten 12-14 Highway MPG. Not a fast machine. First problems at 98000 ... electrical system Alternator, distributor, entire ignition system, Exhaust Manifold cracked. Passenger compartment seals started shrinking and having issues after 2 years and are now all but gone but no biggie it is a truck after it is gonna be noisy. roof liner completely fell out ofter 6 years. It prefers dry weather. Nothing has stopped me on or off road ... when I have seen other vehicles stuck

Wonderful heavy duty cloth seats Good AC (I live in TX so it is hot) It's a truck ... it does what I want it to do.

BETTER MILEAGE MORE POWER ... NEVER put a 4 banger in in 4WD. Better quality seal and roofliner. (most of these were fixed in subsequent versions)

A Solid, Reliable Workhorse
By Buster

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. It now has 112,00 miles on it. The clutch, rear brakes, exhaust system and radiator hoses are all original, and based on the local dealer service department, are not in need of replacement. I have the 4cyl engine with 5 speed manual and get a consistent 25mpg; best mileage was 28mpg. This truck has never let me down, and with regular recommended service intervals, will probably outlast me!

Good gearing, solid build quality and finish, fun to drive, excellent brakes and handling.

More power for the 4cyl engine. Should have a full size spare. Softer interior, full gauges

soon to be tacoma owner
By taco2come

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

where do i start...bought it from an older gentleman in 2002 with 33000 miles and no damage or sign of being abused. At 75000 seal went bad in timing chain cover leaked/burnt oil.=engine overhaul. At 100k replaced all bearings in man.trans & clutch. Trans case leaky,stays out of alignment,instrument panel lights go off while driving & overall its just poorly designed when it comes to dependability. Compare side by side with a tacoma & its obvious. Its serviced every 3k miles, only non pavement use is an occasional hay field or dirt road. Looking back I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a far superior toyota tacoma!

drivetrain, fit and finish

Everything I needed!
By Tortuga

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Frontier in 2004 when I was 18. Been driving it almost daily ever since. I've done trips of well over 400 miles as well as put it through some rigorous Off-Road and Mud trails. The truck has gone everywhere I've pointed it. Ran into a few trees and rocks while wheeling, body damage was fixed with a little hammer work. I was rear ended in it, with barely a dent to the rear bumper (the plastic step came loose.) The little toyota pickup that hit me, was destroyed. Power is perfectly fine, It's a pickup not a race car. I'm running 31 in. tires (compared to the stock size of about 17 in.) and it runs perfectly fine, with no life required. In all, great truck!

fender well size to fit larger tired. Plenty of power on and off road and good 4Lo power. good strong IFS suspension and drivetrain. Lack of repairs needed. If your Frontier needs excessive repairs, then you're an idiot driver who doesn't know how to take care of your average maintenance.

Pickup wise, they've only made it better throughout the years (except body designs, the original is the best.) My single cab isn't enough room for my needs anymore, so I've upgraded to an SUV. Other than that, everything is perfect!