Used 2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Transmission Transmission Transmission
By Bill Carswell

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Read the reviews and do your research before considering the purchase of a 2013 Nissan Altima. Our CVT transmission was just replaced at 64K, 4k outside the warranty. There are numerous complaints all about the same issue! Shudder and juttering and then it just quits - torque converter locked up. Luckliy for us it happened while we were coming to a stop!

Stay clear of this car - it is going to cost you $3k-$4k some day for a transmission. Nissan needs to admit that Jatco (75% ownership by Nissan) has built another flawed CVT transmission and start the recall. They admitted this issue with 2003 -2010 CVT equipped cars.

If you have had an issue with your 2013 Altima, we all need to complain to the NHTSA and have our cases logged.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Tranny, brakes, bearings...what's next?
By Mike Alumbaugh

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Congratulations Nissan you built a car with the reliability of a Fiat. In less than three years and just over 36,000 miles we have serviced the transmission 3-4 times (I've lost count), had it brought in for brake noise (screeching) at least 4 times, and just this week the bearings in both rear wheels had to be replaced. The brakes still squeal but they won't do anything about it because it isn't "that bad." They reconditioned the surface of the rotors, re-shimmed the pads and replaced the pads 9 months ago. I warned them then that I knew this was only a temporary fix and that I was concerned that they would get noisy again once the warranty expires and that is exactly what has happened. A few months before that they shimmed the pads which made it better temporarily. The disk brakes on every other car I've owned have not been anywhere close to this noisy! Unless I change the pads and turn the rotors to sell it it will easily affect the value of the car and then I am only passing this problem along to the next owner.
The tranny has the shakes. It has been reprogrammed, the alternator was replaced because supposedly the voltage was affecting the timing of the tranny, and most recently a vale body was replaced. The oscillation problem is better for now but my wife had it buck again last week just not as bad. Now we have a vibration at about 72-73 MPH that is reportedly "engine harmonics" that resonates through the body of the vehicle. None of my other cars (including the Fiat) have ever had "engine harmonics" ring throughout the car. Their claim that this is acceptable is ridiculous. Their competitors do not have this problem.
I am highly concerned that I have more bearing issues in the future. Being the Director of Operations for a manufacturer I know what a rogue lot is. Unless the front bearings are different than the rear the odds are that the front wheels are exposed too.
We bought this car because of it and Nissan's reputation as being a good product and company which may be true, but that hasn't been our experience. IF YOU DO HAVE PROBLEMS expect nothing but pushback from Nissan.
Update: 7/3/16 sold the Nissan Altman, bought a Honda Accord, problem solved.

Transmission number 4
By Bob white

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/12 (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have a 2013 sl 3.5 the original transmission has been replaced twice with only 35,000 miles if you include the one it was made with that makes 3. And the last one is acting up as the first 3 did. I'm not sure why Nissan has not addressed this issue extending warranty is great but what happens when it runs out other than transmission it is a great car.

My Third Nissan and Not My Last
By Justin

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for one year, and I am still pleased with it. I traded in an SUV, so the Altima's driving dynamics were a large departure for me. Real world fuel economy is near/at EPA estimates. The interior is superbly ergonomic and has held up well for my 25,000 mile/year commute. I like the way it looks and materials/fit and finish are above average. Overall fit and finish (mainly exterior) seem just average, but are an improvement over my last vehicle. Earlier in the year I had standing water in the cabin; turns out water was coming in through two holes in the body, which were sealed and Nissan reimbursed me for the repair despite being out of warranty, as this was a major issue that was not from wear and tear. Other than this one issue, I have nothing but accolades for my Altima. I look forward to many more years of ownership.

Please Save yourself a big headache
By Anthony valencia

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have 18k miles in my 2013 altima sv. And is been tge worse nightmare to have this car. Specially NMAC nissan corporation does not help you at all once you start having problems with your car. I started having problems with it since 2 thousand miles and nissan corp. keep saying everything is normal. I had plenty of new cars. And NISSAN is the worse car i've ever drove. WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE and they never want to help once you start having problems. AGAIN. IM ONLY AT 18k miles. And is been in the dealer repair department 3-4 times already.