Used 2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Love my Altima
By M Schaefer

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Excellent gas mileage, very comfortable, quiet ride and great reliability.

Time for Nissan to take responsibility
By Homer

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/12 (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

CVT has been a known problem yet Nissan doesn't stand up to their product. Just replaced the transmission with less then 80K miles on the car. After review, it appears this is a common problem. Can't wait to move on and get back in to a Chevy!

Awkward Altima
By Taylor

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the worse waste of money! This car has a lot of recalls and should be taken off the road! The brakes freeze and you could die! Nissan should be ashamed!

Don't believe everything you read
By Umar K

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Let me start off by saying this, I read tooo many reviews before I bought my 2013 Altima 2.5SV. A lot of the reviews were about how bad the CVT is and it is unreliable and blah blah blah. I realized that after I bought it it just takes some getting use to. It is not like normal transmissions, transmissions usually rev up to a certain RPM and then go back down and then back up. With a CVT you put your foot down like normal, but it revs to about 4,000RPM and holds there for a few seconds, it is nerve racking at first because you are so use to it going up and down, but then you get use to it. And boy does it go, you would think that a 4cyl does not really go, but I have had cars get up behind me when I am cruising and then just put my foot down and it just goes and they become smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror. I went from a 2001 Toyota Corolla 1.8L to a 2.5, not much of an upgrade, but you really notice the difference. Nissan did a good job with getting the most out of this engine. As far as MPG goes, when I went for my first fill up I got an average of 20 something MPG and I thought boy Nissan was really being optimistic here on this one. But my next MPG I got about 38 MPG which is about that same as I got in my corolla and I was happy about that, and I am continuously getting around that ball park figure every fill up. It takes regular gas, which is good. I have owned it since August of 2016, and when I bought it it has about 34,000 miles on it, now it just hit 39,051 as of today October 14th. My commute is 100 miles a day, I live in Winchester, VA and I drive to Sterling, VA 50 miles each way. On this drive I encounter a lot of hills, which are a concern for me because I am use to having 2 and L gears in my car, the Altima only has Overdrive which works perfectly. I have yet to encounter any snow, but when I do I am sure I will be fine. The Altima handles very well on the twisty roads, Thus far I have not had any issues with it thank goodness, I have just had to get my oil change which lasts about 3,000 miles or you can put synthetic in it which goes further. I have not tried synthetic as of yet, but the standard recommended oil works just fine. Overall this car is wonderful, just takes some getting use to.

It's the alternator folks.
By Beth

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought mine in October used at a Nissan dealer with 11,000 miles. I test drove it and it seemed fine. Looking under the hood the battery had a lot acid deposits and the history report indicated that the battery terminals had been replaced. The dealership said it was a faulty battery and replaced it. After driving the car a month I noticed the rumbling at slow speeds. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the alternator at no charge to me. Rumbling sound gone and car was performing so much better. Fast forward to June of the next year I start using the AC and I started having a few intermittent incidents where the AC compressor does not come on. I was still learning the car and thought maybe I didn't have the controls set properly. In August it quit altogether. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the AC compressor, again no charge. At this point the car is out of warranty and the Certified Used Car Warranty does not cover AC components. The original faulty alternator had destroyed the internal workings of the compressor and it failed at 15,800 miles and it had caused the battery issue too. Now with a new alternator and new ac compressor the car is as it should be and I love it. It has the most comfortable front seats with fantastic lumbar support. It handles well, get great gas mileage, is roomy, easy to get in and out of, including the back seat as the roof doesn't slope so much as other models in this range. It has many safety features found only in high end cars. The CVT gives the car a smooth quiet ride. The original factory installed alternator was under powered which caused the battery and AC compressor issues. Hopefully it was replaced in time to not damage the transmission. Nissan knows and the dealerships know it's the alternator and a good dealer will replace it and the components it damaged without charge for their customers. My dealer told me that Nissan paid for the replaced parts and labor.