Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

2009 2.5 S
By zhon

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new in October 09 and have only positive things to say about it.
Great power and acceleration for a 4cyl.
Some reviewers have stated problems with a delay on acceleration.
I have not experienced this, my car accelerates immediately and quickly.
I barely have to touch the gas.
Much more responsive than any other 4cyl I have driven, and I have driven many.
The engine did sound like a diesel when it was below freezing, but that seems to have gone away after the first 6000 miles or so.
It is no louder than any other 4cyl.
One suggestion for those concerned about problems with the CVT: read the owners manual for proper break in procedures on a new transmission.

Intelligent Key is a nice feature. Not having to dig your keys out of your pocket when carrying items to the car is very convenient. Roomy cabin and trunk space. Fold down rear seats help when hauling larger items.

Folding side mirrors would be nice. Also, the MPG display over estimates gas mileage by about 2 mpg but I still get 28-29 mpg combined (display usually shows around 31 or so).

Worst transmission, engine, and noise
By jb68902

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I don't actually own an Altima (thank God), however, a friend of mine has one and I honestly hate it more than any other midsized car sold in America. The car uses what I consider to be the worst transmission offered on any car, anywhere. That, combined with the engine, produces mediocre power, lazy throttle acceleration, and the absolute worst engine noise conceivable. Combine that with an EXTREMELY outdated exterior/interior, unbearable rear seats, a mediocre sound system, and a lack of joy, and you are left with what is quite possibly the worst midsized car sold today. Seriously, I hate that CVT transmission. The transmission takes what little power there is and reduces it to nothing.

Spacious cabin.

Transmission, styling, engine, and handling.

Performance Without A Heavy Price Tag
By Ken Harris

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I recently traded in a 2009 Honda Accord EXL-4ycl because I was not satisfied with the braking and acceleration. After about 9k miles I started having problems with the rear brakes. I test the drove the Altima and was pleasantly suprised with the performance as compared to the Accord. The Altima has a silky smooth powertrain thanks to the CVT transmission. I prefer a more sporty type vehicle and did not have alot of money to spend. I purchased a used 09 that was in almost showroom condition for 16k. This is the vehicle to purchase if you are seeking performance in a 4 cyl.

Push Start Ignition and CVT Transmission.

I would like to see alloy wheels as a standard option which I believes is the case for 2011. Vanity mirror and Auto headlights

Thin paint
By n25ks

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I very much enjoy driving this car. It rides smoothly and has punch when you hit the accelerator.

Keyless entry and ignition, power at take off because of the CVT, roomy interior, orange on black dashboard display, slopped rear, big windows.

Thicker/higher quality paint (it chips and scratches easily). I'm scared to drive it on a long road trip fearing that the front bumper, hood and side fenders will look like someone took numerous shots at it with a BB gun and never missed. Yeh I could get a bra, but bras go on breasts, not cars.

Dissatisfied Customer
By Dissatisfied Custome

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased 09 Altima last December. We haven't owned the car one yr and the engine began to knock like a diesel. Took car in for servicing by dealer and informed it needed a new engine. After much scrutiny by NISSAN, warranty covered the engine replacement. Had the car back for 2 days, engine wouldn't turn over. Radio, lights, windows would work, but car would not start. Replaced battery at my own expense, still happening. Just wishing we had the Chevy Trailblazer back, and rid of this nightmare.

None at this point.

A warranty is a warranty....please do not scrutinize consumers when the manufacturer has sold them a lemon!