Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Glad I bought it
By shelbydog9

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2009 Nissan Altima new. I was looking for a new car and went to a local car show, where they had many cars of the type I was looking for (sedans). I’m 6’5” tall, my first concern was whether I fit or not. Either not enough head room or not enough leg room eliminated 90% of the cars. Price range, basic features, comfort narrowed it down to this car. I chose the bigger engine for more control and better handling. I have almost 60,000 miles on it now and I still love the car. I did have a problem with the front windshield cracking within the first month; they replaced it without any problem. This car has been well worth my investment.

I’m getting 20.5 miles per gallon (80% local, 20% highway), actually calculated from the first fill up I got. Head & leg room is great.

I don't like the look of the new 2015 models as much as my (and similar) year.

2009 Altima Hybrid--disappointed
By msginny

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really wanted to like this car. Even though it wasn't originally sold in the Midwest where I live, I had a dealer get one for me back in 2010.
Over the weekend, my car stranded me with the infamous steering column issue. I couldn't get it started in the Mall parking lot...no prior warning lights, etc. Upon trying to start it, the red "key" light came on.
Today they fixed it under the "extended warranty" which should've been a recall.

The dealer did tell me the parts aren't always in stock, and some customers had to wait a month for a part and repair.
Bad job, Nissan. The romance is over, and I'm kicking you to the curb.

Push button start Hybrid system (borrowed from Toyota Prius) Keyless entry Dual heating controls Traction control

Better recall policy and correspondence with owners Better tires--this car handled poorly in snow with OEM tires Better trim options on Hybrids

I love my 09 Nissan Altima
By sgtkeebler

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

very fun to drive around in, and my comfort level in this car is excellent!!! I added on 20% window tint and all the girls turn their heads to look at me. What can I say this car just feels right for me. My last car didn't feel right at all. The engine is very quiet, and it is a undercover powerhouse best 4cly engine I have ever had, even comes with dual exhaust. I don't understand all these bad reviews because I absolutely love the car and have had zero problems since I bought it (not to mention it was a rental before I got it). I got it at 33,668 miles for 14,147$$. I love this car if you are considering purchasing this car I would say this would be the most efficient car you can get.

the interior is very luxurious even for the base model, comes stock with aux port for my iPhone 5s, excellent heating and a/c, very fast once I step on the gas it is very responsive my head jerks back sometimes because i hit the gas to hard, nice breaking system, the cvt transmission is excellent when Im going up-hill I can't even tell because the car shifts into the best gear for hill climbing, perfect gas saver for a college student, stylish and mean looking, I could go on and on about the pros of this car. I love it very much.

when the engine is shut off, and I am just siting in the car I can hear the wind blowing, and dogs barking pretty well, but when I am driving noise is not there very quiet when driving. Thats the only "improvement" i can think of best car i have ever bought.

Altimas are not reliable and Nissan does not support customers
By kathy90

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The air compressor clutch failed on my Altima with only 52,000 miles on it.The cost to repair it is $1000.00 and Nissan has refused to cover the cost of repair because they say that my car is "outside of its warranty parameters."
Two reputable mechanics have informed me that it is unheard of for a car with such low mileage that has been impeccably maintained to have a air compression clutch failure.Nissan is not willing to look beyond the warranty parameters and see this as an ethical, good business, customer service issue.They are basically saying that even if the mechanics of the vehicle fall apart after the warranty period, Nissan will not stand by its vehicle.

3 Major Failures within 50k miles
By jmayor88

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used at 40k miles, history was good. I have driven it for 50k miles (so at 90k now). Since I have purchased it, there have been 3 major failures, and also a recall that turned out to be nothing. The first major failure was the exhaust manifold cracking and needing to be replaced. An exhaust manifold should never crack that early, and the exhaust shop told me he has seen a lot of Altimas with this problem. Second major problem was the Electronic Steering Column Lock. This failure caused me to be stranded, as the car would not start.
As of two days ago the final major failure occurred. Dealer is saying it is a rod bearing! STAY AWAY - much better options out there.