Used 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Big mistake, transmission out at 23k miles
By nick131

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car after was told it is sporty to drive. It might be sporty for old folks. The engine is loud as a jet taking of every-time you accelerate.
My main issue with the car is highway driving. After driving on highway for more than two hours and then you decide to get off an exit for gas or a quick break, the car won't move. It has done that to me every time i had come to a stop after highway driving. It is very dangerous because the car won't move at all while the gear is on D and gas pedal pressed all the way down to the floor.
Dealer wants to replace transmission.
The second thing is this car is the worse vehicle for winter driving, especially in snow.

Transmission, stability control, safety issues...

BUGS!! BUGS!! BUGSS!!!
By evelynt1

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had a pretty fair experice with my Nissan Altima but a major dissapointment in this car is that when there is a problem with the vehicle the dealership seems unavailbale to fix it. I live in a rural area where bugs are prominent and it seems that my car as well as others around mine are extremly suscepitable to bugs being into the tail lights. They are very unsightly and nearly immpossibe to get out. When i contacted the dealer they told me that if the problem was not water they were not responsible for fixing my inconvience. I went to the nissan service area to see what I could do about this and they informed me that I would have to pay $500 each for new tail lights.

N/A

To be able to fix problems effecintly. Also to remve the tube that allows bugs to find there way into the lights. These bugs inevitably, make me not want to drive my car which in turn gives my rate for car performance and quality rate to be low.

disturbing horn/alarm
By george6464

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

the altima 2009 is okay but one major pain: the remote key set. the horn button is awkwardly place that whenever the keys are in my pocket, the pad will often touch pocket contents or plain body and sound the alarm when I don't need it. I have to hold it all the time. can the next key pad be modified to ensure the alarm part is lower than other keys and cannot accidentally be triggered.

crappy transmission
By mykegee723

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

when i got this car it was awesome. then all of a sudden going about 30 mph car would shake and my mileage decreased from combined city and highway 25 to 19 mph. i repeatedly took it in and nothing wrong was found. although dealership felt the shaking right away. they couldnt fix it. repeatedly took it in.
all of a sudden a service bulliten came out that this is the way the car is supposed to drive.
b s. i say. i contacted nissan usa and tried to reason with them. and they told me yea thats the way it is. i am a car audio installer for more than 8 yrs, and i have worked on many nissan altimas like mine. they all drove great.. obviously there is something wrong. i trade piece o crap in.

Thee Worst Nissan ever owned!!!!
By medinamv

I have owned about 9 brand new nissan 10 used ones. from 1979 till 2009
5/pick-ups /3-200sx 5-altimas (2 have 200k onthem) 3/240sx and yes even my toys 2001 Skyline/2001 silvia S15 bluetop (stationed in Japanand now in the states with daddy) plus 3 sentras. never any problems at all!BUT!
my 09 Altima 2.5s is the biggest dissappointment ever/ engine replaced at 30k for Knocking/ wears tires on rear evry 20k but alignment shows it is fine. now tranny at 59k and engine noise is back. real loud in mornings like oil is not getting up to top end. I am going to trade in ASAP on A Hyundai or VW Passat asap! I have owned my last Nissan.

The handling of the car is very nice/the gas mileage is ok on the Hwy. it loses pwer with a/c on. shifting is sooo smooth (before I had tranny problem)

Find out WHY Engine sounds Like a Diesel when you step on Gas first thing in the morning AND WHY Tires are wearing on rear end ON THE insides. when you have 4 people onboard.