Used 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Don't buy!
By Brian Hertling

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Well here it goes...I don't complain much, but Ive had it with my 2009 Nissan Altima. The steering lock column has failed on me, leaving the vehicle dead in its tracks. After researching the issue, Ive learned that it has been and continues to be a major issue on this make and model. I reside in Minnesota and this happened at night with the temperature of -5 and wind-chills at -30 leaving my wife and I stranded 30 miles from home and 45 miles from the nearest Nissan dealer.
The $700 part fails to disengage from the steering column and therefore renders the car useless. After numerous conversations with Nissan consumer affairs I have yet to get an answer. Apparently they extended the warranty for this part, but go figure...It happened to me after the warranty expired.
In doing more research I have learned that unless a certified Nissan mechanic diagnosis the issue they(consumer affairs) cant or wont(not sure) do anything for me. Furthermore, the part is the size of a deck cards and riveted so I cant replace the part myself. So, long story short...$700 part, $300 in labor, $150 towing bill for a part that is essentially useless. What has me upset is that Nissan knowingly has not placed a recall on the part even though there have been thousands of issues directly related to this issue....Not to mention its on the National Highway Safety Dept list of hazards. There will never be another Nissan in my garage...ever!

good car prone to some repairs
By Bill schledwitz

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Takes about $100/year in miscellaneous repairs.

Transmission issue
By Tarak

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have seen lots of problems with my Nissan Altima and having another problem with Transmission now. It really sucks, don't buy Nissan ever.

Nissan Sucks
By arifzaidi

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Let me just say that, one shall never buy Nissan. If you need your warrenty honored, you will have to spend more on your inspections and work around that Nissan will recommend before they agree to pay for it.

I have Altima 2009 with bad transmission. Nissan support recommended 1800 worth of work around and it still has a problem and they are not honoring the warrenty. Nissan users, please lets get togather and sue Nissan. It shouldn't be selling these cars in USA because they are treating customers really bad.

EVerything is bad now!

Customer service, honor your words for warrenty instead of miling customers. You don't want to pay for warrenty until customer spends more on workarounds that you recommend. You have got to be ashamed of yourself.

3 Major Failures within 50k miles
By jmayor88

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used at 40k miles, history was good. I have driven it for 50k miles (so at 90k now). Since I have purchased it, there have been 3 major failures, and also a recall that turned out to be nothing. The first major failure was the exhaust manifold cracking and needing to be replaced. An exhaust manifold should never crack that early, and the exhaust shop told me he has seen a lot of Altimas with this problem. Second major problem was the Electronic Steering Column Lock. This failure caused me to be stranded, as the car would not start.
As of two days ago the final major failure occurred. Dealer is saying it is a rod bearing! STAY AWAY - much better options out there.