Used 2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

My recent purchase
By pjrias

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2009 Altima 2.5 SL was purchased in early March of 2010. It was a Clearance purchase, and was purchased new. So far I would have to say it was my best purchase in 30 years of buying new cars. Took it on a 200 mile all Highway drive to Montauk Point on long Island and averaged 36 mpg at a average speed of 65. The ride was comfortable and quite. The Radio was excellent. And the power was more than sufficient. I'm in love with this car to say the least!

Power, gas mileage, comfort

Lumbar Support in the Drivers Seat

Very Satisfied
By TinMan

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I look forward to driving my Altima because of its feel, exterior looks, instrument display, and gas mileage. I drove a Honda Prelude si for 23 years, and planned to get another Honda or try a Hyundai Azera or Camry, but checked out the Altima and really liked it. This car has acceleration power (it's a rocket). I'm not one to race, but occasionally at a light on the freeway I drive back and forth to work on someone in the lane next to me gives me that look of "Let's do it." I have not lost yet, and I'm not really mashing the pedal to the the metal.

Push button ignition, CVT, and CD/radio sound (great bass).

Brakes are sensitive, but I'm adjusting to them the more I drive. Wind is loud when on the freeway and the driver's window is down. Water drips on my head and the inside of the trunk when the trunk is opened and any rain water/car wash water is still on the car. Power front seats would be great.

2009 Nissan Altima 4 door SL
By lissysmom02

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought brand new. I think that the overall appearance of the vehicle is sharp. I do however have some issues. The engine noise in the cabin is quite loud. I also have condensation in my rear brake lights and when addressed with the dealer, they told me that was normal. Had to have the rotors resurfaced already at 11,400 miles (I've had it less than a year.) The CVT transmission seems to lag and not shift fast enough. It also feels like it can't get out of its own way sometimes. My Mazda 3 was faster and way more fun! The Altima is nice but not really fun to drive and the steering is weird, I always feel like I am correcting it.

I love the push start and the little gadgets of convenience. I like the bells-and-whistle stuff. The heated leather seats are great in the winter. There is a good amount of room in the back seat and the trunk is good size.

steering and in-cabin noise improvements should be addressed. Cornering and handling could be better. Improvements to the CVT transmission so it compliments instead of being an issue of concern.

Push Start/Stop
By Chasler

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I drive a lot of freeway miles. This car is got the perfect balance of power, acceleration, comfort and fuel economy. CVT transmission works like a dream. Get 29.4 average mpg: 80% freeway cruising at 72mph; 20% varied driving about town. Negatives: 1) Tail pipe smells in the cabin initially. Whatever it was seemed to burn itself out after the first 8,000 miles. 2) Push Start/Stop button works great except...frustrated with the stop button instantly killing the sound system along with engine. Sound like a minor quibble but when I get to my destination sometimes I want to hear the rest of the song or talk radio topic without having to continue running the engine.

CVT Transmission, Push Start/Stop RF Intelligence (Key FOB must be somewhere within the cabin to start/stop engine; Key FOB must be outside car to lock/open doors)

1) A little more head room for taller drivers 2) De-link the Engine Stop button from the sound system. Suggest the following improvement: Push Once to kill engine; Push a second time to turn off sound system.

Everyone's Right..To a Point
By PettisFettis

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I researched this car for two years (and the Accord Coupe) before I got this one. The blindspots, the jerkiness, the "average" stereo, the A/C plug-ins behind doors, the hub caps, the small trunk, all of this stuff is true, but none of it is excessive, or low-grade. So for the price of this vehicle, I'm very impressed with what I got. And the acceleration, handling, fun factor, and sturdiness are unmatched in this price range. Read all the Honda reviews (I've owned three accords), and you'll see that they will let you down too if you're expecting perfection out of a car under 20K. I can definitely live with any of this vehicle's shortcomings, kinda like I can deal with my own.

Too many to name. The overall quality, the handling, the comfort, the styling, the simplicity, the Intelligent Key system, the fuel economy, my insurance rate ($72.00 a month), the price I paid (15.7K@ 19K miles), the info center, and the fact that you don't see a million of them on the road.

Won't even waste my time here. That would be like me and my spouse engaging in that kind of talk about each other. We make do, we're very happy, and the same goes for my Altima Coupe. I didn't come looking for perfection, I did my homework, and I got more than I could have asked for in this car.