Used 2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Push Start/Stop
By Chasler

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I drive a lot of freeway miles. This car is got the perfect balance of power, acceleration, comfort and fuel economy. CVT transmission works like a dream. Get 29.4 average mpg: 80% freeway cruising at 72mph; 20% varied driving about town. Negatives: 1) Tail pipe smells in the cabin initially. Whatever it was seemed to burn itself out after the first 8,000 miles. 2) Push Start/Stop button works great except...frustrated with the stop button instantly killing the sound system along with engine. Sound like a minor quibble but when I get to my destination sometimes I want to hear the rest of the song or talk radio topic without having to continue running the engine.

CVT Transmission, Push Start/Stop RF Intelligence (Key FOB must be somewhere within the cabin to start/stop engine; Key FOB must be outside car to lock/open doors)

1) A little more head room for taller drivers 2) De-link the Engine Stop button from the sound system. Suggest the following improvement: Push Once to kill engine; Push a second time to turn off sound system.

Everyone's Right..To a Point
By PettisFettis

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I researched this car for two years (and the Accord Coupe) before I got this one. The blindspots, the jerkiness, the "average" stereo, the A/C plug-ins behind doors, the hub caps, the small trunk, all of this stuff is true, but none of it is excessive, or low-grade. So for the price of this vehicle, I'm very impressed with what I got. And the acceleration, handling, fun factor, and sturdiness are unmatched in this price range. Read all the Honda reviews (I've owned three accords), and you'll see that they will let you down too if you're expecting perfection out of a car under 20K. I can definitely live with any of this vehicle's shortcomings, kinda like I can deal with my own.

Too many to name. The overall quality, the handling, the comfort, the styling, the simplicity, the Intelligent Key system, the fuel economy, my insurance rate ($72.00 a month), the price I paid (15.7K@ 19K miles), the info center, and the fact that you don't see a million of them on the road.

Won't even waste my time here. That would be like me and my spouse engaging in that kind of talk about each other. We make do, we're very happy, and the same goes for my Altima Coupe. I didn't come looking for perfection, I did my homework, and I got more than I could have asked for in this car.

New Surprise
By G Peterson

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I own a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder that now has 125,000 miles. It is my baby that I love but since moving to SC from NJ I wanted a car with good mileage for our travels. While only owning the car for a few months I find it fun to drive, mileage is good and I love the way it handles. It is almost like a sports car. In two weeks it will be taken on a drive to Florida and I can't wait to get it on 95 where I can really see the mileage it gets. For a 4 cylinder its has great pick-up.

The way it handles is my favorite aspect of the altima. For a 4 cylinder it really moves.

Will let you know!

Good 4 Dr. Sedan Choice!
By ncgent

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned this car for just over 1 month, and I know I made the right choice. I had 23 choices: Accord, Camry or an Altima. I was looking at the 6 cyl. versions of these sedans. Nissan came through in quality of the interior over the Camry. The Honda had more road noise than the others. The Nissan was the most comfortable for me (6'1", 200#). The handling was superior in the Altima - it felt most in touch with the road. I thought I would not like the transmission, but I LOVE the CVT. No harsh shifting points. The CVT does make a noise when accelerate or shutting the engine down like a jet engine. The 10 year CVT warranty assured me it is ok. I do not hesitate to recommend it.

BOSE, Bluetooth, heated seats, CVT, power there when needed w/3.5 motor.

Add electric passenger seat.

Former Camry Owner
By afret

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Owned two Toyota Camrys and due to their age, decided time was right to purchase new. Couldn't beat the Nissan price deals. Since all reviews show Nissan comparable, decided to give it a try. Initial Altima impression, nice car; nice ride; but, dislike don't like the blindspots. I'm also concerned that the engine makes a slight pinging sound at idle (i.e. sounds like a diesel). Haven't had the chance to have the dealer look at it yet. All in all, haven't had the car long enough to decide if it's as high quality as Toyota.

Gas mileage is great; ride is very good; exterior noise is comparable to other cars in this class. Only downside thus far--rattle in the overhead compartment (@2000 miles). Dealer fixed it.

Offer other interior leather color choices (besides black).