Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

New Car Nightmare
By JulieQ

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Since owning this car the following has taken place - both tail lights had to be replaced, carpet replaced, door seal replaced, defective sunroof wind deflector replaced, sunroof drain clogged & caused excessive moisture damage, which resulted in having part of headliner glued back in place and interior musty smell, trunk seals not installed correctly which caused the trunk lid to rub grooves into the bumper, hood had to be adjusted to fix large gaps, console became loose driver's side window seals have gaps, sometimes car idles so loudly it sounds like a diesel. I could go on. In April of 2010, I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs. Today, they called as said the problems are normal.

I love how it handles. It's a smooth ride. The gas mileage is incredible.

Automatic setting for passenger seat. Memory setting for driver seat. Fix the idle noise.

Big regrets
By olddad

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was drawn to this car by the body style, the overall appearance, and the smoothness of the CVT. I have owned it for about 17 months. I think the luster was gone fairly soon. The visibility is very poor in my opinion. Gas Mileage is just okay. I recently hit a deer on the freeway. I was going about 65 mph. I'm fortunate that neither myself or my passenger was injured. But the damage to the car amazing and the repair bill to my insurance company was $9000. I wish it were totaled so I could have returned to driving a Honda Accord. Overall, I think the car is poorly designed.

CVT

start over, poorly designed and cheesy appointments. Especially the interior

Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

Recall the model and fix the brake switch. Install a heavier duty battery if possible. I'll never buy another Nissan.

2009 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the 5th Nissan (3 Sentras, 2 Altimas)that I have purchased. The 2009 Altima is a fun car to drive that looks great. Interior is roomy with plenty of leg room for 4 adults. Seats are comfortable. Standard sound system is adequate for an adult. The 2.5L performance is ok for the daily commute. Fuel mileage is great averaging 30 mpg driving 65 mph. CVT takes some getting used to but is generally smooth. Ride, braking, and handling are very good. As for value, you get a lot car for the price. Only complaint: It took me a while to figure out that carrying my remote in my pocket could accidently open the front windows. It would be nice to be able to disable this feature on the remote.

Push button ignition, keyless remote, CVT, leather seats, and CD/radio sound

Larger (wider) tires and wheels for the SL models, standard fog lights, folding mirrors.

Just what I wanted
By Dianaraven

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I gave up my hand-me-down 1996 Maxima and bought a 2009 Altima, with the leather and Bluetooth. It handles amazingly well and is very comfortable. I look forward to driving it every day. The CVT is smooth and the engine has a lot of power compared to some other 4cyl cars. The keyless entry and push button start is great for those women who have to usually dig for their keys. The interior is spacious and well organized. I love this car and am so glad I purchased it.

Keyless entry, never locking my keys in the car again, Bluetooth built in. And ladies (you may appreciate this), in the first-aid kit that you can purchase with the car, they have put an emergency maxi-pad. May be trivial, but you will understand.

Self cleaning mode please (just kidding).