Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 388 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Poor shock absorbers
By Gino

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We live in a condo complex that has 5 speed bumps. The car scrapes bottom when carrying 4 passengers or if the trunk is full of personal items. Also have had problems with tire wear and more noticeable after having rotated the tires.

Love the Bose sound system, quiet ride and its quick response.

Increase the strength of the shocks or suspension system.

Drive train awful
By Teal

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

2 sets of bearings, one tranny failure (so far), constant brake noise. Probably the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned at the age of 63 and I owned some junkers as a kid. Get the car back tomorrow after another 4 days at the dealer service. Trading it this weekend on non-Nissan product.

Dump the tranny for conventional gearing type. Improve the bearings and brakes.

Transmission needs to know me?
By kmp

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Has anyone heard this one? I bought my altima coupe new & it rode well for about a year--no probs. Now the transmission vibrates at 25-40 mph, & getting worse. The dealer tells me the transmission needs to adjust to my style of driving-that they may need to reset it to the factory setting and let it "learn my style of driving."this sounds like bs to me! Also, the car keeps telling me I have no key, & the car won't start w/the push button. I've gone through umpteen batteries in the last few months. I can put in a new battery today, & tomorrow the car will tell me my key has no battery. Very frustrating! The dealer tells me they are "going back & forth w/Nissan" & will let me know.

Get rid of the stupid push button ignition. Respond to customers' complaints in a reasonable amount of time. Act like you care.

Ready to trade.
By KP

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought brand new in June of 2008. I have 35,000 miles within 2 ½ years. Gets great gas mileage, very sporty and I really do like the push button start. But I have had problems that in my mind outweigh the good things. Had to have the radio replaced. That took 4 trips to the dealer before Nissan would finally replace it. Had the trunk latch replaced. Now I’m dealing with the radio display again and they won’t do anything and my warranty is up in 999 miles. Windows roll down if you hold the unlock button on the key. I didn’t know that till it happened the other night with the key in my pocket. Then the lights were on and I couldn’t get them shut off. So now I have to take it back in.

Sporty Good Gas Mileage Push button start

Nissan should really think about the customer. Shouldn't take four trips to the dealer to get something fixed. Just fixed the problem that happened on the car you built.

Hands down best bang for dollar in class
By Kathrine

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My Altima came home with 65k (highway) miles, Although it was one year old. I must attribute the condition of the car to Nissan's absolute dedication to build quality. We just turned 87k on the odometer today. It still feels like a New car (mostly). Bottom line-Take care of this car and It Will take care of you. Punch the Audio power button and your paying for a new stereo. I truly love my Altima. hated the song. Absolutely Impressed with it. yeah the battery had a dead cell. $80 later I have 600CCR :) Forget the Sedan stigma. My 2006 Accord coupe V-6 was less of a car all around. I prefer it over our 2006 Toyota Avalon. I sit in the garage for hours just to be in my car!

1. CVT transmission, 2. 3.5 V-6 DOHC engine, 3. yeah the Keyless Ignition, and ext lock buttons. 4. the lack of external noises. 5. std pwr seat. 6. std safety features-saved my life at 140mph. 7. Suspension/handling. 8. std heat mirrors/leather wheel. 9. Std audio; its still in my car! ;)

Hey folks, quite honestly, a defective battery isn't changing my opinion(s). I was told my Altima had the optional VDC. It doesn't It is standard as of 2010. Convenient welded jacking points on frame would make changing my oil easier and safer with a floor jack. This Honda girl is "team Nissan"