Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 389 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most reliable car with great mpg
By brianarm

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my altima new for under 20K. I now have 50K miles on it and have had only 1 issue. The bolt holding the alternator broke, the fix cost me $75 because the threads were stripped.
I am still on my original tires though I do need to replace the fronts now. I calculate actual gas mileage myself and average 28 mpg in mainly city driving. So I go about 560 miles between fill ups (sweet). Car is plenty quick enough and was a lot faster than accord or camry (which I test drove). CVT is smooth and zero probs. I'm also 6'1 and have no problem with headroom or entry exit of vehicle. There's a reason this car is such a great seller, it's an auto mechanics enemy.....

Reliability, Looks, mileage, 20 gallon gas tank.

Packaging of the optional items.

Great Sporty Car!
By krismuszynski

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Previously had an '07 2.5 Altima Sedan and LOVED it but wanted something sportier after a year of owning it. Lived up to exactly what it's built to be, a front wheel drive sporty car! First trip was to North Carolina in the first week of owning the car, averaged between 70-75mph on the eight hour trip from Florida (may have given it the beans a few times on the hwy as well) and had a 31mpg rating both ways to and from NC. Decided to give the suspension a work out on the mountain roads of Pisgah national forest. The car handled beautifully! The ride is TIGHT though, don't expect a soft ride in the SE package. It is made to be sporty! Loved the car and would only change the turning radius.

Great engine, wonderful transmission (don't forget to get it serviced at 50k!!) spectacular sound system for a factory stock sound. For a small coupe it fit my 6'3" frame quite easily as well as room for two of my friends. The fold down rear seats SAVED me many times as I am a active musician and had to cram 3 guitars, amplifier, speaker cabinet, pedal board, and backpack filled with accessories in the car on a regular basis. It did take some "tetrising" but it can be done! Also will fit 7'10" fishing rods with the seats down, this was my SUV hah! Averaged about 26mpg on a daily basis, for a 270hp car if found that pretty impressive.

Biggest improvement needed was the turning radius at slow speeds. To put it in perspective it almost equates to the turning radius of the moon. At faster speeds it handles as fine as any FWD car will, wish it was a RWD vehicle, but then they'd be shooting themselves in the foot wouldn't they? Half the price of a maxed out Z and the same performance...well almost.

Nissan Altima...SMH
By soa

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2008 Nissan Altima has been out of commission for a month! At first I thought I needed new spark plugs, but found out that one of the cylinders needed to be replaced. Mind you if only has 67k miles on it. Took it to the dealership and they could figure out what was wrong with the engine and wanted to replace it. I've been back and forth with them for a month now and I'm tired as heck! I found out that other consumers have been having the same engine issues and there is a class action suit building in California. Honestly, I think the consumers need to all get together and sue the pants off of them for not correcting this problem. Lest we forget Toyota ? I'm not trying to be a causalty!!!!

Recall the engines in the 2008 models and have better customer service about it. It's not our faults that you have [violative content deleted] engine builds. Save the Nissan name and do better!!!!

This car is crap
By melgoodman77

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my car used with 34,000 miles on it. I didn't even have it 24 hours and the clutch stuck to the floor while I was doing 75 mph. The dealer said that the hydrolics on the clutch had gone and they also had to replace the master cylinder and the slay cylinder. I have only owned this car a little under 2 months. The gas milage of this car is horrible. I get 18 mpg even when it says I am getting more. The gas light comes on when the gas gauge is only have 1/4 of a tank. Now there is a large clunking sound in the front end of the car and the dearship said they adjusted my subframe. It is still making the clunking noise and needs to go back in. LEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!

THe seats are comfortable

Blind spots are pretty bad.

40K Miles - No Problems
By kayyn

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Just thought I would post a review letting potential buyers of used 2008 Altima Coupes, know, that after 40,000 miles the car has had no problems for me.

I bought the 3.5 SE with CVT transmission, on 6-7-2007 fully loaded.

The car has had every maintenance interval done. (oil changed every 3K miles, and whatever else a certified Nissan mechanic, said needed to be done)
The only problem I had was a bad valve stem on the tire, NOT caused by driving behavior, stems are steel.

Otherwise the car has seemed to run very well.
It is very quiet while idling, inside still looks brand new, overall everything has held up well with no major problems in the first 40K mile

Car mileage has been spread out approx. 30K highway 10K city, it has a combined MPG of 26.7 listed on the display. I did a test about a month ago and I got a little more than 550 strictly highway miles before the car told me I needed gas. I put in about 15.5 gallons so that figures about 35.5 MPG highway; city isn't too terrible about 17-20. I like this because if I remember right the sticker at time of purchase said 19MPG city 27MPG Highway.

Although, I usually leave it garaged in the winter, or if I know it is going to rain; the car could use better handling during the winter months. I have only driven the car once in the winter, but I know another person who drives their car daily and regrets the handling in the winter. We have found that driving with the TCS OFF in the winter returns better results. It seems to do well in the rain, even with the TCS ON.