Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

Used Altima for Sale
Select your model:
12345...50

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

200k and going strong

MishaBella, 10/01/2015
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and have had it for the last 6 years. I haven't been the best with maintenance on the car, and I think that's important to note. I regularly went 7-10k miles before an oil change. The car has over 200k miles and has had very few issues. Engine mounts have been replaced, ignition coil, rotors and wheel bearings... The only irritation I've had is with the headlights. They have been replaced more than I would have expected and they get very cloudy. Otherwise this car is Ah maze ing! Amazing... My son and I took a road trip from Cali to Arizona and back (where it turned over 200k) and the car was completely reliable. We were comfortable and had fun driving fast and without caution to the age and mileage. The head unit and rear speakers were upgraded for current technology. My son is excited to have this car as a sophomore in college when I get a new one. We also own an Xterra... Oh should note the interior space is better than most midsize suv. Our family is much more comfy in the Altima then some suv's we've rented, way more space then the Xterra.

5 out of 5 stars

Best car I have ever owned.

sheer, 03/01/2014
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It really is the best car I have ever owned! I basically just drive it. I bought from a friend six years ago with 50,000 miles. Now I have 276,000 miles on it and all I have done is basic maintenance, struts, and one sensor. It never breaks down. The motor still runs smooth. It's still peppy, though I don't push it like I did when I first bought it. I expect to see well over 300K miles out of this one.

4 out of 5 stars

Few issues but overall solid

Scott Swindells, 08/09/2015
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this as my first new car out of college in July 2005. It's had a few minor issues but overall has been a solid vehicle. I only expected to keep it for 5 years, but now i'm planning to drive it until it's dead. It had 2 issues brand new from the factory, both warranty repairs, but both left lasting impressions on me. First, one of the rear tail lights wasn't plugged in. Didn't know for a couple months until leaving a bar one night a coworker called me in a panic and said you better get off the road you have a bad tail light! Took it to the dealer and they were like wow it wasn't plugged in all the way and some pins were vent. The other issue was also terrifying. If i was making a right turn with my blinker on, as i'd exit the turn the blinker would click off, and so would my head lights. Took a bit of jiggling to get it to come back on. Other than oil changes at ~6000 mile intervals I've only had minor repairs: 1. Crankshaft position sensor (as did everyone else with this car) at 60k 2. Serpentine belt at 90k 3. DIY Brakes and rotors at 90k (needed rotots at 50k though) 4. Front end inner tie rod at 150k 5. Front struts at 150k (needed them since 100k though) The car has really good interior quality. Nothing feels cheap. Leather is nice. Fabrics are nice. Bose is nice. Nothing is falling apart even at 10 years old. Good performance for a 4-cyl. Good gas mileage for a car of the era. The biggest negative about the car is road noise, both bumps and wind. After a highway trip i feel deaf.

Long lasting low maintenance

Goxy, 12/12/2015
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

In 2004 bought 2005 model and during these 11 years and 195,000 miles did one tune-up, changed oil, filter, tires, breaks, and battery. In addition, I own 2010 Maxima and 2011 Altima. Comparing to my friend's cars, Nissan is a way better than any other one.

3 out of 5 stars

The pain of loving a nightmare

Sarah Elizabeth, 03/06/2015
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my nissan for 8 yrs and she ran smooth when all was proper but I was one of the unfortunate owners that ran into a bad catalytic converter. Common with this car 02-06. Started with a simple overheating issue. Once the water pump, radiator fans, and thermostat were all replaced it no longer overheated codes read bad crank/cam pos sensor, fuel ratio issue 0420. replaced the sensors, soon followed by a head gasket fix and new valve cover gaskets, played nice for a few months then started misfiring bad again out of nowhere because soon to be diagnosed bad catalytic converter. engine hasn't seized so time to take it apart again and see if it's worth fixing. Total Nightmare. Update: sold the car, never fixed the cat or redid the head gasket, really not worth the trouble if you ask me. I bought a Honda Accord for less than the cost if those repairs, and honestly the cost maitnance on that car in comparison is truly a relief.

1 out of 5 stars
2 out of 5 stars
1 out of 5 stars

Got screwed by Nissan again

nissancrap, 07/02/2011
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 altima SE 3.5 with 80K miles. It was a fun car to begin with and plenty of power and torque for a $25,000 car. But I had spent more monies on this crap even more than my 2002 BMW. I ran into the timing chain tensioner guide cracking issue @40K miles which I was lucky it still covered warranty. Many owners were not so lucky but have to pay close to $2,000 after warranty expired. But after Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA fixed it, the air conditioning stopped working. Took it back to Sunnyvale Nissan to get it fixed again. The car interior had some strange rattling sounds which the dealers thought it came from the dash panels and never able to eliminate it.

4 out of 5 stars

Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.

ace340, 03/22/2014
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009. I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014. Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs. Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving. When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

David Davis, 09/21/2007
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great! The way it looks and drives makes it the best sporty car I've ever owned.

8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy

ronrn, 12/27/2012
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.

4.88 out of 5 stars

I love my 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Zack, 04/16/2010
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It has style, it has performance, it's economically feasible, and it is also reliable. The BOSE sound system is awesome. The red and black leather is totally unique. I feel like I am driving a German sports car rather than your typical Japanese mid-sized sedan. I bought this car right when it came out when it had zero miles on it, and now it has around 68,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I plan on driving this car till the day it dies, which I do not think will be anytime soon. Thanks Nissan, you can pat yourselves on the back for making the 2005 Altima SE-R!

12345...50