Used 2005 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 488 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Very reliable car
By Joe D

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A spacious, reliable, and economical car. I bought it pre-owned with 25k, it now has 90k and has cost me next to nothing to maintain beside mandatory maintenance (oil changes, tires, etc.).

Legroom, trunk space, speakers, fuel economy, LOW maintenance.

This is a very practical and reliable car but not one for performance. Then again I have the 175 hp 2.5S, I’m sure the 3.5 250 hp is much quicker and due to the v6, makes less noise on the highway. Including tip-tonic would make this a far more fun and easier car to drive especially in the snow

Fun Car
By Dreese

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for over 2 years, and can't really complain. For a 4 cyl, this car rips. Passing IS NOT a problem. It gets 26-30 mpg and I romp on the gas frequently. Other than a few stone chips, the ext is in great condition. The wheels, hub caps and steel rims should be outlawed. The brakes are the only thing that has given me problems. I've noticed other owners making the same comment. Nissan needs to improve the breaks. The interior looks a little cheap, but it is comfortable, very roomy, and has held up very good. I prefer my Altima over my Xterra in < 4" of snow. After hearing from friends and family about the problems with their "big 3" car, I know I made a great decision!

Very quick, handles good, comfortable and roomy interior, folding rear seats, low profile.

Needs better brakes! Slight road noise. Ignition acts up from time to time. sometimes it turns over right away, other times it takes 5 to 10 seconds.

Time Reveals Reliability
By SmarterNow

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

Altima is a fun car to drive. Responsive and peppy.

Voluntary recall to inspect/replace pre-Catalytic converter to prevent breakup of converter contents from clogging 2nd cat and blowing material back into engine causing its destruction. Federal emission warranty covers up to 80,000 miles on cat converters. NHTSA should require mandatory recall.

Very Disappointed
By cindy

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and it did great until I hit the 4th year and then everything fell apart on it. I have had to replace both sensors $400.00 then the transmission went that was another $4000.00, six months later the tranny mounts. and the engine mounts. and the Alt. another $900.00, I really love this car as far as style, gas mileage, but everything else, forget it. I had always bought American cars and always had problems so I thought I would buy a Nissan and I wouldn't have to worry, I will never buy another Nissan again, and by the way none of these items were covered.

nissan 05
By s-somarriba

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Nissan with zero miles so far in the past five years I somehow put 184 thousand miles. Have been everywhere in California, very good on gas. At 140 thousand miles four sensors went out do to factory defect after Nissan preformed the recall I have had no problem other than a speeding ticket. Overall an awesome car probably can still get another 200 thousand miles before I get another car.

Butt warmer comes in handy when it is winter. And of course the Bose surround sound.

Would be nice if it had a AUX input and Bluetooth other than that it needs no improvment.