Used 2005 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 489 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Got screwed by Nissan again
By nissancrap

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 altima SE 3.5 with 80K miles. It was a fun car to begin with and plenty of power and torque for a $25,000 car. But I had spent more monies on this crap even more than my 2002 BMW. I ran into the timing chain tensioner guide cracking issue @40K miles which I was lucky it still covered warranty. Many owners were not so lucky but have to pay close to $2,000 after warranty expired. But after Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA fixed it, the air conditioning stopped working. Took it back to Sunnyvale Nissan to get it fixed again. The car interior had some strange rattling sounds which the dealers thought it came from the dash panels and never able to eliminate it.

3.5 L engine and 249lb of torque. Roomy interior.

Lots of over-steers. Changed the stock shocks and spring to KYB and Eibach Pro spring, much better and less over-steers. Front brake disc often warped. VQ35DE engine commonly have timing chain tensioner guide cracked may cost $2,000 to fix, Nissan should accept responsibility as design flaws to do recalls. Engine rattling may due to aging spark plugs at 70 ~ 80K miles. Most dealers at bay area california have poor services and only Nissan Sunnyvale is at acceptable level. Definitely stay away from Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA. they will just rip you off and being rude if they can't fix the problem. Stay away from Nissan at all cost, GM cars are even better built.

2005 Altima 3.5se 5spd
By rwouell1

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love love love this car.
I bought it new in 2005 and have almost 92000 on it now.
The 3.5 with a 5spd is a rocket ship.
Love to pull up next to sport coupes and blow there door off.
I have only had to change the breaks and put new tires on it.
It has been to the shop twice for repair work.
Once for a rear suspension recall and once to replace something in the steering system which had rusted out.
Over all would buy another except for the fact that you can no longer get a v6 stick shift sedan anymore. Only wish the car had come with abs and side airbags. Might actually trade it in for a mazda.

Body design and powertrain.

Wish they had made abs and airbags standard in 05.

For A First Car, This Thing Is A Gem.
By mycarsnameisal

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am sixteen. This is my first car. I LOVE this car.

The only thing I wish was different about it are:

*fog lights should come standard on the 2.5SL model.

*The passenger side should have power seats.

*Should've put more thought into buying a 3.5L V6

*Car jumps a little when first accelerating after the engine being off.

*Storage is beyond enough! *Tilt/Telescopic Wheel *Steering wheel controls *Ease of stereo unit *Roomy backseat *LARGE trunk *Handles well

This car is a great car, not everything is perfect. But for a teenager, GREAT car.

Simply Wicked!
By Fobroader

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand spanking new in 05. Drove the 4 cylinder Then drove the v6. The 4 is pathetic, this car is a rocket. Had to get the 5spd manual because an automatic is just wrong when paired to a vq35de engine. Stock tires were absolute garbage, all seasons on a 250 horse car? The 6 pack changer had to be replaced under warranty. Floor mats wore right through under gas and clutch pedal. Great car, highly recommend the v6 model to everyone. Drive a manual before you buy the automatic to see how amazing this car can be. I've got about 60,000 miles on mine and its been bulletproof.

V6, Bose Stereo, Heated Leather seats, sunroof, comfortable seats, exterior looks, great headlights

Definitely needs a limited slip. Aux and USB plug should have been standard. Stock Bridgstone Turanzas garbage. Floor mats need to be better. Easier to change headlight bulbs. Throatier exhaust and intake. Make brembos optional on non SE-R models.

Some quirks, love this car though
By CRM

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Altima used 6mths ago. I feel for the price I paid it's well worth it. However, only 6,000 miles after buying it the crank shaft/cam sensors both went out. I'll just say the attitude I got from Nissan was less than caring. I don't want to feel discouraged from my car choice though due to that. My family has owned various Nissans and previously had good experiences. I wish the rear view mirrors bent back on the car. The previous owner had tinted windows and a Sirius radio installed so I enjoy that a lot. :)

I really like the way the car looks. Inside it's very roomy, the trunk can fit a LOT of stuff. I've moved using this car and helped others move with it also. On the highway I have to be careful because this baby likes to speed. Definitely a sporty feel to it. Gas mileage has been great so far.

Nissan could improve by standing behind it's faulty parts they recalled! They get around replacing bad parts by citing it's a VIN specific problem, which we know is BS red tape. Also the problems they will fix due to a recall the Nissan dealers still charge to diagnose! Have some pride in your cars!