Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 489 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.
By ace340

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009.
I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014.

Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs.
Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving.

When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

Good looks, very strong acceleration, excellent handling, comfortable interior, roomy!

MPG could be a little better, I get about 25-27 MPG with VERY conservative highway driving. Requires premium gas for best performance. Reliability is suspect sometimes, some rattles in the interior, paint scratches and chips very easily.

Junk
By madnissan

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I beg you please, please, please go look at all of the problems with Nissan Altima on the internet. On a 2005 2.5s there are over 400 Technical Service Bull (TSB).
They do not back their products. They have people from the Phillipines trying to answer your questions, you cannot understand them.
Never, Never, Never buy a Nissan Product

None, This is the worse made car I have ever owned in my 51 years on this planet.

Shut Nissan Operations down. Never buy one is the best means to deal with the poor quality.

Best car I have ever owned.
By sheer

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It really is the best car I have ever owned! I basically just drive it. I bought from a friend six years ago with 50,000 miles. Now I have 276,000 miles on it and all I have done is basic maintenance, struts, and one sensor.
It never breaks down. The motor still runs smooth. It's still peppy, though I don't push it like I did when I first bought it. I expect to see well over 300K miles out of this one.

It's fast and I love the sunroof. The side view mirrors are of good size and I can see well out of them. Not true in all cars.

9-year Review
By romans10nine

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, White with Black interior, 5-speed manual. Purchased new in October, 2004. Current mileage: 68,000. I have only needed one repair, and that was a crankshaft positioning sensor, which was discovered by the service engine light coming on. I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the beginning. The car literally drives like new.

Styling still looks great 9 years later. Reliability is great, still handles and feels like new. Interior still looks like new so the materials must be high quality.

The original Continental tires had terrible traction. My second set were Goodyear Triple Treds and now I have Michelin Defenders. Both of these tires are great. Wish it had Traction Control and ABS.

2005 Altima SE V6 270,000 Miles and counting
By frank1981

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What can I say, My Altima has given the best run!

It has had only one problem, Alternator gave in during its first 30,000 miles and was under warranty. For the first 3 years I drove about 30,000 a year. Then I slowed down, drove about 20,000 after that lol

Amazing vehicle ! No major problems.
I have done tune ups as needed, purchase tires, oils changes
& other basic needs.