Used 2004 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Wish I bought a Honda
By Shea

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I have ever bought by myself and needless to say I am not impressed. I did buy it used, but the dealership insisted it was in great condition. There is a rattle in the door that after 3 trys from the dealership isn't fixed. Within 2 weeks of owning it my battery exploded. I have spent 1200 on the front and they then told me my engine mount was broke, the belts are all cracking, the radiator house is leaking etc. The finishing on the woodgrain has peeled. When my brake pads got low there was no warning went straight to grinding which resulted in more damage. Now I'm without a car again because the fuel pump. I'm a college student without money & now a unreliable vehicle.

Too many repairs
By pdupuy

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had to bring this car back to the dealership numerous times. I've always had to bring it back more than once for the same repair. Now I keep having sensors go out, it's out of warranty and I'm spending a small fortune in repairs. Want to trade it in, not sure at this point if i ever want another Nissan. I love the design but the reliability is extremely disappointing. No way I should be having this much trouble, this car should last 200,000 miles easily.

Outside design

Do something with the sensors, engine design and exhaust design is poor. Cost of repairs is ridiculous.

Disappointment compared to 1994 Altima
By nissandriver9408

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new 2004, after driving a 1994 Altima into the ground and loving every mile. This car has cost me quite a bit in maintenance (religious about that) and repairs, and I have a clutch waiting to go (drove 250K miles on last clutch so don't blame the driver). The interior is chintzy, the cup holder broke just out of warranty and will cost a mint to fix, the glove compartment barely opens, the list goes on with inconveniences. I will keep this car until it dies because it is relatively fun to drive & somewhat reliable. Yet, compared to the 1994 Altima it is a disappointment... the pretty boy of Altimas. Nissan cheaped on value to deliver a good looking car.

Looks

Improve the interior. Road noise is a bit much.

A thing for Altimas
By RJones

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd Altima. I had a '95 that I bought used in '96, kept it until '05 (160k miles) when I bought my 2nd one (also used). These cars definitely seem to have problems w/the O2 sensors (both of mine did), but overall are reliable. Unfortunately, I just totalled my 2nd one (at 73k miles) so I am off this weekend to by another :(

Exterior; fun to drive; adjustable arm rest (b/w the front seats).

02 sensors - what's up w/that?

Best Of All of Them
By john

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm in my 60s and for all the cars I have bought and driven over the years from Chevys, Fords and other imports, this car is the best of the breed. It's comfortable, it's fun to drive and very very reliable. If I had enough money I would buy one for every day of the week.

Leather seats that are heated. Road course handling, great power even for a four cylinder. Very quiet interior.

None, it's a great car.