Used 2002 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 394 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! Looks good but repairs are needed every couple of months
By chelsey_payne

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car my sophomore year of college with 109K on it.
As soon as I brought it back to school I started seeing problems immediately.
It made this rattling noise when the AC was on at idle and so I took it to the dealership and they said it was the belt. Got that fixed for close to $400 and it still to this day rattles when the AC is on at idle. Had to get the crankshaft pos sensor fixed a few months ago. Every time I get it fixed the check engine light is back on about 2 months later. Now it is losing tons of oil and coolant and I am just being told it needs a cat converter and I don't have the money for it. Only has 123K on it. I am def looking for new car. This car is JUNK!

With proper maintenance, a good car
By tjonston

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02' Altima from the original owner with 112k and it now has about 164k. Overall, it has been a good car with reliability that is comparable to Honda cars I've had. Apparently, there was a problem with the catalytic converter for the first couple of years of this version of the Altima but the first owner's mechanic had the foresight to swap it out and there has been no problems at all. The performance is great and so is the fuel mileage- I get close to 30 mpg on the freeway.For me, it has just been regular oil changes so I am pretty happy.

Nice roomy car with a good sized trunk. The 2.5 engine is awesome on the freeway- passing cars is no problem.

I think Nissan's customer support could be better but all dealerships are terrible- that's why I go to an independent shop.

All good at first
By acuralegend95

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The first few years were great, it was fast, clean, and a great car all around. Then around 100k the air bag light turned on and the bose 6 disk changer stopped working and taking cds, took it to the dealer and they checked and said everything was and about to charge me 200+ for a new radio, only fm radio for me. around the same time they said my 02 sensor was bad, it was replaced. No problems for about 20k and then it started to need oil like it was disappearing about a quart every two week. After that started it rattled like crazy. Changed all the spark plugs 3 times and about 5 pairs of brakes. now at 160k i replaced radiator and now sits in the yard in need of a thermostat, and heads...

Edmonds pays off again
By jerry45205

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son re3ceived this car as a gift. It was very clean for the age. As soon as he got it he did an Edmonds review and this is what happened:
He ordered a direct bolt on stainless steel racing header from optionimports on e bay motors, The main cat had already been removed. We eliminated the orig header/manifold which contains the problem pre-cat and the header went right on. Upon further examination of the car it looked like the engine had been replaced. Tell tale signs were the junkyard yellow marker markings on the side of the engine. Car body has 90,000 miles-after even more inspection could very well be a newer 2.5 engine as it was clean-as in oil and tranny fluid.So looks like a win.

A gift and a curse
By autobuffsince5

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a gem to look at even at 8 years, however, I will NEVER buy another Nissan product. After very wet weather the car has a hard time starts. The head gaskets wore and have leaked coolant which fouls the plugs and the 02 sensors. This problems has re-occured every since I hit 80k. Any bump dings it up easily and the car feels very unsubstantial. Abslolute must to change the stock tires. (terrible in snow). The AC does not defrost and it struggles to cool the car down. Overall the car has a phenomenal engine, but it seems that Nissan knows the engine craps out. They refuse to be accountable for this. Wonderful engine but go cart fit, finish and quality. Ur lucky to get 6 good years..

Engine, decent stock stereo, size and swooshy head turning styling

Fit and finish needs lots of work. Car does not feel like Nissan put too much effort into making a quality car. Cheap plastics, weak AC defroster. Cheap tires