Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

A decent car to buy
By Dipti Narayan

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car as used one. The car is looking great & interior is excellent. The car has power transmission. The audio, CD player is good. No sound inside the car. The car has some problem on the highway, e.g. some noise but not too much. AC is good, heater, power set are easy to manage.

Good acceleration & good anti lock brake.

Improve the gas milage & the signalling syatem.

Nice car!
By 2001 Altima SE

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Strong engine. Transmission pretty smooth. Both exterior and interior size somewhat smaller than other midsize cars but bigger than compact size cars. Ride is comfortable but not luxury. I owned it since new had no problem so far-86K now. Mine is sportier version with spoiler, alloy wheels, sport suspension and etc. When it was new, better value than accord or camry I felt but resale value is poorer. No timbing belt in this car. It has chain which does not requre replacement at 60k. Overall, Nice car!

Sporty with spoiler, alloy wheels. Strong engine, reliablity. 6disc changer

gas mileage barely 20-25 driving both city/Hwy

I like my little car
By PlatinumGLE

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After having a 98 Chevy Malibu for 2 years (First car) and repairing it at least once a month.. This little Altima is a great little car. I bought it with 50k for a steal, it is a Titanium Pearl Metallic GLE with every option but ABS. It was meant to be my college car but now i am trying to get it paid off by next year since i am now a Honda employee and have discounts. I have read complaints about the braking in wet weather, when you have a vehicle w/o ABS what do you expect? Brakes lock up when you hit them... My car stops fine.. It handles great with 16" rims, looks great with clear tail lights and tinted windows.. If you are wanting a 01 Altima.. I say GO for it!

Leather int., side air bags, moon roof, spoiler, great handling, i love how you can "whip" it into parking spots or in and out of downtown roads. My gas mileage is good on interstate.

Factory sound system, mine is definitely clear but no bass, everything else is improved in the new model, but i was not impressed with the new models build quality. I cant wait till i get my accord coupe!

Good car, but have concerns
By Melinda Gibbs

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've noticed in the other reviews that only one person complained that during wet weather hard braking causes the rear end to swing out...it's quite scary. I had 2 new rear tires put on the back today maybe that will help. It has done it to me about 6 different times in wet weather, almost hit another car a few times...not good. Hub cabs rattle all the time. Dealership can't fix them. Had trouble with power windows...all fixed under warranty. I really like my Altima, but I'm very nervous about driving in wet weather.

Body style. I'm only 4'11" and I fit in the seat very well and have no trouble reaching the gas and brake peddles.

Hub caps that don't rattle.

Good to Me
By juliemc

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a certifiable lemon, I purchased the Altima. The ride is really smooth. I haven't needed any major repairs to the car, just annual stuff and oil changes. The heat/air cond. is superior. The seats are comfortable. Gas mileage is good. The trunk is roomy also.

Defrost! It kicks in quickly and it hasn't failed me yet. CD player - gets me through long road trips Brakes - crazy drivers on the road.

Replace the frame of my car with a Jag frame. (My dream car.) This car doesn't need improvements, just someone who takes care of their car and it will take you wherever you need to go.