Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Great Car
By Victor

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car on 8/2001. So far, so good. The only repair has been the power windows (recall). Mileage is excellent up to 33 per gallon (combined). So far 65K miles and no brakes changed. It is very reliable, I love my car and my plan is to keep my car at least 6 years more. The only thing I do not like is the hubcups and noise from wind against the car.

Power, mileage and reliability.

Hubcaps, interior noise

2001 Altima SE
By John

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car does everything well. It is quick, responsive, economical to own and operate, with excellent brakes and handling.

See above and sound system.

Tighten the power windows.

Pretty good car
By Paul-engineer

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as an everyday to-and-from work car, and used it that way for 5 yrs. Now my daughter has it at college. I have liked this car. It has a smooth, powerful 4-cylinder engine, and the ride is nice. It has been very reliable - a couple of repairs done under warranty (intake manifold gasket and remote fob) - no hassle. I had to replace the radio/CD player when the CD player stopped working. And I went through the round of tires/brakes/battery at 60K miles, which is normal except the cost on the brakes was high. My gas mileage has been OK - around 30 for highway, 25 in mixed city/freeway commute. Interior space is tight. I am 6'1" and I think that no one taller could use this car.

Smooth ride; powerful, quiet engine; handles well; reliabity excellent; good remote/security system.

Interior room is deficient. Steering wheel column adjust won't let steering wheel go quite high enough for my tall frame. Noisy hubcaps. A bit more road noise than I like, particulary in the rain there is a lot of splash noise.

No Problems - Reliable
By J Goodwin

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in spring '06 with 30K miles. I shortly thereafter had to change the intake manifold gasket, but then have had no problems at all. I've since doubled the miles, and it still runs great. Nice car. I've had no braking problems w/o anti-lock. Maybe they should slow down. Good deal for a good car.

I basically only drive on highway, and I get 27-29 mpg. Decent power.

The rattling hub caps drive me crazy.

Not so bad but can ask for more
By Thomas

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Altima for a little over a year now and it's been fairly reliable, no major concerns so far. About the rattling hub caps, I bought a set of aftermarker hub caps and they make funny noises as well! Turning radius is horrible. You can't make a tight U-turn to save your life. Gas mileage is okay, all interior features are easy to read and use and the car rides smoothly. The stereo system is good too. It's a good value for the money.

Trunk cargo area, simplicity of interior features, reliability.

Those pesky hub caps, acceleration, turning radius