Used 1999 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Not a sports car-but okay
By jeo

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have found ownership of my Altima having offsetting pluses & minuses. Yes it's reliable and gas mileage around 25-28 mpg. But when parts wear out they are quite expensive. The seats are hard & uncomfortable, it has the turning radius of a truck, the stereo is no Bose.

Reliability, room, economy

Needs much better seats, shorter turning radius, firmer suspension, improve stereo

The car that would not die
By sloemoe

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I've put over 200,000 miles on my Altima and it's still runs great. My wife owns a 1998 Altima with 90,000 miles on it and it also solid. I've had to replace the driver's side visor in both several times because it is connected by cheap plastic. This is the great choice for anyone wanting to get out from under a gas guzzler and still get a dependable car.

better visors.

Better than honda and toyota
By billy frazier

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my altima with 88000 miles on it after owning a Toyota and 2 hondas, have to say both are way overrated,my Altima has been the most dependable car I've ever had, and let me say "some rockin a/c", blows 38 degrees in Florida-ice cold, and the car is so easy to maintain for the do it yourselfer, have not had a single problem yet, now 140,000 miles and going strong

Air conditioner-ice cold.

Paint scratches easily,and wind noise can be heard around windows

Used Altima
By doug

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I was looking for an affordable and reliable car in the $3500 range to serve as my daily commuter. My 2000 Ford F-150 doesn't compare when it comes to fuel consumption. I am happy about my purchase. Fuel consumption, comfort and so far reliability are all great, not to mention the looks. The turning radius is a little wide but that's ok. I had to replace the 2 stock door speakers and the 2 rear deck speakers because they were blown. These are all 6 1/2 cheap 1 way spkrs. They are rated 30w max/15w nom. I replaced them with Pioneer 6 1/2 260w 4-way spkrs (model TS-G671M). Great upgrade. I recommend anyone looking for a good commuter vehicle consider this car. Can't go wrong.

I love the electric antenna. The sunroof has 2 settings. (1-slides all the way back. 2-back part of roof flips up). Fuel economy is great. Seats are comfy. Quiet ride. Gauge cluster is nice. Center console is nice.

Big driver side blind spot. The visors could be a little larger. Power door locks are weird. Only driver has button to lock all doors. On my other vehicles all doors have a power d/l button. Hurry big truck owners and buy one and watch your gas savings grow.

Saved My Life
By Marlene

1999 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since purchased and loved it. A few minor improvements to the model would have been nice but overall an excellent car. I rolled it down a hill last week and totalled it. I crawled out virtually unscathed. A few bruises but nothing major. The safety features in this car saved my life.

Safety features.

Improve the turning radius. It is incredibly tight even in the largest intersections to turn around. Also the doors don't open wide enough to slide larger bulkier items in easily, such as large boxes.