Used 1997 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Best First Car Ever!
By College Kid

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 16 years of age and it has proven it's value in the near 5 years I've owned it. I bought the car at 119,452 miles and it now has 302,679 miles and still runs like brand new. I drive all over the place as you may be able to tell by the number of miles I've put on it. I occasionally race newer sports cars at the lights and I've beaten many smaller turbo charged and V6 cars, with the occasion of some bigger V8 powered cars. The only repairs I've ever had to make on this car was a section of the rear subframe rotted out and needed a new section put in ($240), and new rear drums ($100). If this isn't good enough yet, then let me tell you I get 37 miles per gallon combined.

The power from the small 2.4L I-4 engine is immense. The interior design is very complex, yet well organized. The interior also reflects that of a luxury car. The 5-speed manual has proven to be reliable and efficient, plus it allows for a faster takeoff. Plus the handling is fantastic and it's fun.

Make sure to take care of the undercarriage (remove any rust and paint with 3M salt protectant paint). The fuel door is a little difficult to open in the freezing cold, but lightly hitting it normally breaks it free of the ice.

great car!
By ionut

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2003, as a graduate student. Best $3,750 spent! Didn't like the exterior in particular, but once I got inside, I fell in love with it. Strong engine, not so great transmission. When I bought it, one of my colleagues told me: "Altima, you will get tired of it, it will never break!". He was right. In six years we replaced the tires, front breaks and the radiator. VERY cheap to replace. No rattles! OK, it's noisy inside, the ride is not what it used to be when I bought it six years ago, but what can you expect from a 12 year old car? It is a Limited Edition, it has everything my Accord'07 has (another great car)!!! Just love it! I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Reliability and built quality. Good gas mileage.

Too late for that, I guess ...

The best nissan Altima (Ever made)
By lenchmoore

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Well I purchased my Nissan altima gxe in New Jersey on September 1st 2004, on my way home this car ran so smooth as if it was brand new. As I drove it through the years it got better all the time I go around that steering wheel, personally I rate this Nissan altima gxe series over all the other altima's.

Everything

None

Great Buy
By PeekoSanchez

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima used at 37,000 miles in 2001 and it's still going strong at 130,000, though it's needed some major repair. I've had to replace the alternator (at 75k), one CV axle and the other will need replacement soon, the switch for the power windows and locks, and the clutch a year ago. Those are the only $200 plus repairs done in 7 years though, which is a bargain compared to the repair work other models need in that amount of time. The interior doesn't hold up well however; the vents on the dash are popping up, a sun visor fell off while I was driving, and the speedometer sticks sometimes. The fabric is cheap and stains easy.

Acceleration is strong and gas mileage decent. A lot of range in the gears. Handles corners easily. Drives great in snow with the right tires. Paint's holding up very well against salted winter roads. Lots of room inside and it's pretty comfy.

Great Car!
By Andrea

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 almost 4 years ago for $2800 with 162,000 miles on it. It's up to 215,000 now and is running great. I did have some major repairs the first year but since I switched mechanics I haven't had any problems. Definitely worth the money.

Comfortable

Cup holders are in a bad spot, trunk leaks