Used 1996 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Nice commuter
By Driver from OH

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car cheap with a blown engine (overheated) at 143k. Replaced with a 53k engine and barely ran until I replaced distributor, knock and O2 sensor, and alternator (I suggest replacing parts with new Nissan parts, otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon). Now, if I don't look at the odometer (155k), I think that the car is only several years old. The engine and transmission (auto) were designed for each other and provide good power at both high and low RPM ranges. One major flaw on these cars are the timing chain guides, which start making loud ticking noises after about 40k, and the only solution is to remove them. Nissan got rid of these in their later models. Good car!

Sporty suspension, powerful engine, tight steering. Get 30-33 mpg on the highway if staying in 65-70 mph range.

Cup holders in front of radio are bad idea. Make the rear seat fold down. The exterior design of the car is boring, wouldn't have bought if wasn't cheap. Decent spoiler in the back to clear the back glass of water. Replace distributor after about 110k or if starting to stall for no reason.

Happy driver
By Ole Reliable

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 mile on it. I have put over 20,000 on it in the last 3 months. It runs great and performs without any problems. Gets 35 mpg on the highway and even with the tall miles it uses no oil and has no leaks. Everything works! This has been a great second car for work. Wish I had bought one new in 96.

5 speed trans is nice to bang gears with.

Better wipers and better cup holders.

Been there for me for over 10 years
By Lura

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Like an old friend, my trusty Altima has been with me through a lot of my young adulthood. When I first got her, I remember being very happy with the swift acceleration. Over the years, I have have had a few problems, but not unusual based on the number of miles these problems occurred at.

Easy and affordable to maintain, roomy, reliable, No major breakdowns, feels safe and comfortable, responsive, good pickup, rounded shape seems aerodynamic and helps reduce noise.

Turning circle could be shorter, reduce probability of electrical problems.

Your Average Car
By dude

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have a 96' gxe, and its fine to drive to close distances, but i don' trust it to go further distances after the fuel pump, distributor and A/C went out. Gas is ok not the best. I would go with the Toyota Camry though and pay a few hundred bucks more.

The Engine is very strong, i have to had it to nissan and their engines, also the car wont lock electricly unless the key is out of the contact

Horrible maneuvering ability, replace cup holders, make it more reliable, and lighten the steering a bit

Has been a decent car
By greg_m

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad was the original owner of this car and sold it to me in 2003 w/about 135,000 miles on it. Its a pretty quick car for only being a 4 cyl., but the gas mileage isnt all that great either. When I was putting mostly highway miles on it traveling to work, I think I only averaged about 22 or 3 mpg. The engine still runs nice at 170k miles, but it has always had an oil leak. Ruined a distributor and an alternator. Got the seal fixed once, but now it leaks again.

Very solid car. Still runs smooth at 170k miles.

Oil leaks!! Other than that, the cup holders are the only thing I dont like. THey're in a weird spot, and when something leaks it gets everywhere.