Used 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (60 reviews )

16000 Miles So Far So Good
By Ed Foss

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I commute 104 miles everyday, with lots of stop and go traffic. The Altima Hybrid has been a terrific commuter car, averaging 33 mpg for 16000 miles. The car is near luxury and near high performance. Not bad for a green hybrid! Some minor upgrades would make the car closer to a true luxury sedan, but the car won't ever be a high performance sedan. However, it's still fun to drive, with very good steering and handling, with acceptable power.

Great exterior styling. Very good interior finish. A long list of options.

The sound system is a little disappointing for a Bose premium package. The car doesn't come with fog lights, and there is no fold down seat because of the battery. Really cheap looking floor mats.

6-Month Update on my Altima Hybrid
By tjf

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Total miles: 4,030. Avg mpg: 32.38. Total miles will easily double/triple in 2009. I came out of a 1999 V6 Toyota Camry. The Altima is nice but the Camry tracked and drove smoother. The power just flowed effortlessly and I could get up to 30 mpg hwy and 18-20 city. The 'premium' I paid for the Altima Hybrid has yet to be of benefit so think through your driving style and driving demands. I also considered the Ford Escape Hybrid for the huge advantage of cargo space and functionality. I decided ultimately on the better gas mileage Altima (by 3 - 5 mpg) was worth more since gas was over $4/gal at the time and there was talk of going to $5/gal. The $2350 tax credit helped the decision too.

Total interior roominess, ergonomics, leather seats are very comfortable, interior textures and design is well thought out. Looks inside and out are great . Bluetooth quality is good sending & receiving calls.

Nav system is cryptic and frustrating. Can't find some streets at all. Sounds system is just OK - disappointing for a Bose. EV mode doesn't kick in for stop/go (0-5 mph)a lot of times? No fold down rear seat due to batteries. Also forgot about effects of EMI. Can't upload my phonebook into system.

Saving $150/month and loving it
By familyman3kids

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I leased my pathfinder 3 years ago gas was at $2 per gallon and I never paid attention to my fuel economy. With gas over $3 I realized I was only getting 14 MPG and something had to change. We have a family of 3 little ones and are constantly taking 5-10 mile trips that involve a lot of starting and stopping. When the light changes we are usually in a rush and don't have time to drive this car conservatively - we hit the gas. We have put 985 miles on the car and are still on our second tank of gas, I have a bit less than 1/4 tank. On my first tank we averaged 28 MPG and I think we are at 30 right now. This translates to over $150/month savings on gas alone.

Our car is black with tan leather. We have all the options except the nav or sunroof. The look and feel of the leather is outstanding. I love the "smart key". The exterior is wonderful to look at.

Great car
By leroy patterson

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We like our car a lot. Like others say small trunk space. Was surprised at how much room in rear seat. Plenty of power. We get 29-33 mpg others say they get more, we drive 75 mph, and my wife has heavy foot.

Like overall car.

Power seat, passenger side. Memory drivers side. More trunk space.

Best of Both Worlds!
By Hospice Nurse

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Altima Hybrid is just a great car. Love the look, I have the metallic jade green and get positive comments all the time. I'm a hospice nurse and spend my days driving to my patients' homes, so I make a lot of 5-10 mile trips and spend a lot of time in the car. I can drive it responsibly and get about 35-37 mpg, or drive it aggressively and get 30-32 mpg. Comfort is important to me and it is very quiet and comfortable. In addition to getting great mileage in town, it is a strong highway cruiser. My wife loves driving it on the highway, the acceleration is awesome. We call it the "Green Ghost."

With federal and state tax credits, total price is unbelievable for a car of this quality. Good handling with quiet, comfortable ride.

Smooth out the rumble when the gas motor engages. Make it easier to stay in electric mode up to 40 mph. Make them available in all 50 states. Ship more base models, which have traction and stability control, auto dual climate control and are real comfortable without $10,000 of extra stuff.