Used 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Pleasant Surprise
By Rusty

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used four years ago with 21000 miles and have 103000 on it now. It has been an almost perfect car. Nothing but regular maintenance has been required and it is an easy and even fun car to drive. Some reviews talk about a lack of power, but I have found the acceleration to be sprightly and the only time wishing it had more umph! is when loaded to the gills and trying to pass on a hill. This is the first Mitsubishi I have owned, but if it is a representative sample I am very impressed and wouldn't hesitate to get another when I need to replace this one.

The ease of getting in and out of it. Reliability has been every bit as good as any of the Hondas I have owned. And while I'd be hard pressed to call it "sporty" (my other car is a Mazda Miata) it is a very enjoyable car to drive and very competent at speed in windy, wet road conditions.

I only have two gripes with this car - the cheap plastic headlight covers that have glazed and cracked (one to the point of condensation collecting inside the housing) and the noisy front suspension (has always rattled on rough pavement even though I've never discovered anything loose).

Very reliable, nice looking
By Mikey

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car one year old with 12,000 miles, and it has served me well. Aside from a cooling fan that runs for a short period after the engine is turned off (I ignored the recall), I've had no problems. It's comfortable, zippy, handles well, and the cargo space with the back seats down is plenty long. Wish it were a little higher, though. I had considered a 2004 Ford Escape (too pricey) and a 2004 Honda CRV (not long enough). I'm happy with my pick. My only complaints are that the sheet metal is thin (dings easily), the in- town mileage isn't great (I get about 17 mpg on a 4-cylinder engine!), and wind pulses through the car when the back windows are down.

Trouble-free engine and transmission, great highway mileage, and I like the unusual styling of the front end.

Needs tougher body sheet metal and better in-town fuel economy.

By Ken Bynion

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Overall excellent vehicle. Seats were uncomfortable on longer rides. Safety. Labor day weekend I had a rollover accident, going approximately 50 mph. We wound up on the roof. All 4 of us (ages 72, 69, 65, 59) walked away! Only the windshield broke. 3 of the doors and the tailgate opened so we could get out. The insurance company totaled it. The outlander is safe! We bought a 2008 outlander a few weeks later.

Improve seat comfort on trips.

Great car for the money!
By Tulsa Honey

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned several Mitsubishi. Only money I spent on my cars have been the expected maintenance items. A very economical vehicles.

Snappy
By polok420

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I went to get financed for a car they said this is all I could get. (had a dying 95 escort). Wanted sporty and got it in sleeper mode. Has awesome handling. I have driven trucks and SUV's before but this handles like a car. It's interior could use a little help. Every thing rattles when have the bass up on the stereo.

Sport-tronic transmission.