Used 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Best car Purchase I have ever made!!!
By breamom

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Outlander brand new.
I don't usually buy new cars and I was a devout VW person.
I bought the Outlander because I was starting a new business, needed a car and I didn't want to be distracted by used car pailings.
so I bought the cheapest new car I could find.
I spent all of $15,000.
I have NEVER had anything go wrong with this car.
I have only spent money on brakes, oil changes and tires.
The cost of ownership has been spectacular.
I will never buy a German car again, too pricey to repair and even for regular maintenance.

It's super roomy for hauling things around. It's a small car buy when you need to bring those big IKEA furniture boxes home - PERFECT!!! Just fold down the seats and VOILA! Space!! and lots of it.

No suggested improvements.

Suspension worry
By davebeat

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned the vehicle for only 6 weeks, but have subjected it to all manner of tests and scrutiny. It has only done 106,000 kilometers, looks immaculate inside and out, is very comfortable, handles well and is perfect in every respect bar one -- suspension (or shocks). No one can find anything wrong, yet while very smooth on good roads, smallish bumps and accompanying road noise suggest very rigid suspension. Is this a characteristic?

Not in the shop much
By Jo

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I can't believe I've had the Outlander for over five and a half years now. I only planned to keep it three or four years but it is still running well and not giving me any headaches. It has not been in the shop for much of anything besides normal maintenance. It handles very well in the snow - I will not go back to FWD. The gas mileage has stayed around 22 mpg.

I love the way the Outlander handles on winter roads in the upper midwest. More than once I have watched another driver struggle to get through an un- plowed driveway 6-8" deep, then I have driven right through. Bonus feature: my bicycle fits in the back (seat down) without taking the wheels off.

The newer models have the option to switch out of AWD mode, which would help with gas mileage. Adjusting the side mirrors requires getting out of position because the controls are just out of reach when sitting back.

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander
By 456654456654123321

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Outlander new in 04. We have had 2 problems. 1, the power port stopped working. Replaced fuse and no good. 2. It stalls every now in then, and then it starts up fine. A few weeks later, it will stall and then be fine. Other than that, it has been a pretty good vehicle. We have been from TN to FL, TN to ME probably 20 times and the Outlander goes fine. If I could change one thing it would be the suspension. I think it needs to be a little beefier. With a heavy load, the front end gets light and it feels top heavy. Would I buy another one? Me no, my wife yes. I enjoy a bigger vehicle, but for the "soccer mom" it is fine.

My favorite feature is everything is in easy reach of the driver and the passenger.

I wish the seats were a little more comfortable. Especially the rear seats.

I love my Mitsubishi outlander
By ronda

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Mitsubishi outlander. I love driving it how it handles and the room it has. Wish had a tow hook on front I have no problem in the winter and we get a lot of snow and I notice I see more mistibishi outlanders on the road. I have had only 3 problems and got parts.

Bars on top kinda make you feel safe if you would roll over and the room it has inside.

Tow hook on front and back in case need to be pulled in bad weather. And a book on parts.