Used 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Old reliable
By Ellie

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because the year-end price was too good to refuse (despite not being crazy about the ext styling), but am amazed at the reliability. Almost 80k miles on it and only oil changes/checks & recall replacements. Now needs a new battery. Roomy interior, comfortable on a 2k mile trip. Gas mileage better than expected (average 23-24MPG overall).

Seat adjustments, gas mileage for size, overall comfort.

Exterior styling, sticky temp control knob (since day one).

Solid car - very pleased
By Jane

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our car 1 year used with about 12000 miles on it. We've been very happy with it. Like any car that is now 6 or so years old, it has a few rattles and such, but not many. It has not had any major issues (regular maintenance only), other than a known issue with the dash AC/Heat selector. Now I must switch from AC to heat from under the dash or pay to fix it (around $1500, so I won't do it). Mileage is right around 20mpg for mix of around town and highway. It's very comfortable to drive and ride in - we regularly make 8+ hour treks in the car and find it very comfy. The car has held up well over the years. Very happy with it.

Nice and comfortable interior, roof rack rails, very reliable.

I hope that in the past 6 years the AC/heat issue has been identified and resolved in newer models.

Great buy
By ashgad

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, needed a larger car for our new baby. It has been such a great buy! It is super reliable, nothing has ever broken down on it and it runs like a champ. It has almost 90,000 miles on it now and is still running as great as the day I bought it. It is awesome in the snow, when we had a huge storm here 2 years ago, I was passing up every other SUV and truck left and right as they all got stuck or slid down a the hill. I would recommend this car to anyone, it has been great for us!

Fun to drive, looks great, plenty of room, very reliable.

Could use more power.

Great commuter, not bad comfort
By Gattor

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is great for commuting and could be more comfortable... went on many long trips with it and it's good... I would consider buying another newer model in future.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By PMB

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned more than two dozen new cars in my lifetime, and this one wins hands down for being the most reliable one. Nothing else even comes close!!! I had it for almost six years and had to trade it in at 165K miles due to insurance premiums on multiple cars. It still ran like a dream, and I hated to see it go. Of course, I faithfully changed my oil with high quality products every 3000 miles. This one is really easy to do it yourself.

Ground clearance, cargo space, fuel economy for an SUV (22-25 MPG), overall ride, decent acceleration, easy oil change, incredible reliability, off road capability, and the roof rails able to carry a queen size bed.

Could use more padding on the seats.