Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Montero

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

200K NoProb.
By Lenny L.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my monty a year ago with 190k miles. So far no issues. although I did update some features(Bluetooth radio, kicker speakers, BF Goodrich AT TKO2 tires) this vehicle is a bit under powered but personally it has enough.
I've towed vehicles, dug vehicles out of sand dunes, gone through sand , light mud, fishing. I've taken my monty in many adventures, not once have I told myself I needed another suv. She'll get you where you need to be. PERIOD.

Great for off roading & passenger riding too
By Klpm

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good running car. Interior comfort is good but 3 row seat is tight for adults but grandkids fit ok. Love the off road capabilities. Have taken it places & have never had to use more than high 4. Gas mileage is not great. Average 15 miles around town. Overall look is a little quirky but there is excellent visability all around with no blind spots. Windows appear slightly larger than other SUVs. Too bad Mitsubishi quick making this model.

Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids.
Got this and have never looked back.
Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality.
I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so).
I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k.
I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking.
I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Lots of head room. Very comfortable ride. Nice curb appeal.

There not makin' 'em any more, unfortunately. The left and rear back blind spots are wicked. Better mirroring would improve this.

For some reason... we love this thing.
By Shifty

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a lumbering, slow, hulking SUV - therefore, it's everything I should hate to see sitting in my driveway. As die-hard VW owners for many years, we never quite understood the SUV thing but always liked the Monteros we saw on the road. When our second child came along we wanted a vehicle that could carry our entire family plus luggage and/or friends, but it still had to be fun (read: capable off-road). Suddenly the SUV made sense and we bought a Montero. It's been a great truck and we plan on keeping it for years to come.

-Reliable. -Unique styling. -AWESOME turning radius! Parks very easily. -Smooth shifting transmission -Quite capable off road! -Often mistaken for a brand new vehicle or luxury brand!

-Interior noise on highway is poor -Could use twice the power -Could use twice the brakes -Could use twice the handling prowess

Love my Montero
By momof3

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Montero XLS for 6 years and I have never regretted my purchase. Today I have 3 kids currently in car seats and my oldest (age 6) sits in the 3rd row. Because the car seats in the 2nd row stay there permanently I let my son in and out using the rear door which has never been an issue. I love all the space especially the tall roof. It is perfect for my husband who is over 6 ft tall. He borrowed my truck today and as I admired it as it drive off I thought "Wow-I still love my truck!" It has 96000 miles on it and I have never had any mechanical problems ever! It has good pick up, it is a quiet ride, and has tons of storage when the third row is tucked away. I love it!

Tall roof, comfy seats, 3 rows without being a minivan, easy to park, smooth ride that can handle off road and bad weather.

Heat and air in the 3rd row. In the Carolina I feel like I need the air on full blast the duration of the ride for my son to stay cool in the 3rd row. (It gets LOUD after awhile!)