Used 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Montero

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

This vehicle has too many problems
By Steve

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Started having problems around 45,000 miles with the brakes but I spent money to have them fixed, just normal stuff I thought. Then with only 62,000 at 7 years I had to have the gas tank and hoses replaced. I called Mitsubishi corporate and they said "too bad" must be where I drive. This vehicle is garage kept and is driven only 6,000 miles a year. So I spent $2200 for a new tank, they said the old style metal ones rust that is why they switched to plastic. However the plastic would not fit mine so I have steel again. Now the oil pan is leaking and it will cost about $800 to fix. The mechanic at Firestone and others said they hardly ever replace gas tanks and oil pans on vehicles this new.

not many

The company should stand behind the product. I will never buy another from them and this was my second.

The best
By THE BEST

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At time of purchase we lived at 3800 feet in a ski resort and operated an inn. This vehicle served all purposes very well. In 42,972 miles I used 2529 gallons of 87 octane gasoline. That figures almost 17 mpg overall. Large moon roof was super for photography standing in rear seat area.

The gear shift, five forwards, that were automatic or manual. Climbing our ski mountain I could not select a better gear and coming down if I concentrated i could make it with only 3 small brake applications.

Better PR from company. I wrote some letters to auto editors who never seemed to be fair. got no response from them or factory. Suggested maintenance service was expensive.

140k later
By Brian John

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this with 17k on it, the dealer had replaced the brakes already. At the time it was the only 7 passenger SUV built on a car frame. It drives great but eats brakes and tires. Gas mileage is 18-22 with less aggressive road tires. I had an issue with the antifreeze disappearing because of a broken cheap plastic T that hooked up to the rear heat. This blew out the cam seals. Right front wheel bearings exploded under 100k. Overall, a good family truckster that should go another 150.

Rear air, heated seats, styling, and 4 wheel drive off road handling and clearance

Better brakes, a better rear door handle that doesn't gum up and refuse to work. Higher quality leather.

real 4x4
By Bob TN

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Forget jeeps or land rovers, the Montero is better offroad than any car I've ever been in. The 3.5L engine coupled with its five speed auto gets 0-60 in 7 to 8 seconds. I have never had one single issue with it in 95,000 miles. great truck, with ultra low axle ratio, my Montero can light up tires in 2wd but only hovers around 12 and 16 mpg

Auto stick 5 speed tranny, Awd, 4hi and 4lo offroad settings. climate control

begs for a v8 or a 6 speed tranny

Best Car I've ever owned
By Maryanne Mace

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned. I will keep it till the wheels fall off.

It still looks modern even though it is now 6 years old. It is a very quiet ride with no rattles or noises. It is comforatable on long trips, and it maneuvers great. It feels strong and drives great in 4WD. It does good in the snow too.

I don't like that you have to have the transmission serviced, at a cost of over a thousand dollars in order to keep the warranty valid.