Skip to main content

Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A) Consumer Reviews

4.4 out of 5 stars

4.88 out of 5 stars

It's a Jeep thing--You WOULD understand

fixer, 02/23/2004
XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 53 years old and had reconstructive spinal surgery. I got rid of a Cherokee country after too many problems. I have always disliked driving but now I drive as often as I can. Extremely comfortable, the A.C. will chill you out, and if you think it's a bit top heavy, SLOW DOWN for cryin' out loud. You're probably an Explorer owner or you still have your old MG in your blood. Stick to the speed limits and use some good old fashioned common sense. You can't turn a corner in any city, going 50 mph in anything safely. Go buy a Schwinn and learn to drive all over again.

4.38 out of 5 stars

46,000 trouble free miles

zio, 09/15/2005
XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Mitsubishi Montero Sport new in 2003 as a 2002 leftover model. We drove several different brands, Nissan, Toyota, even a big Chevy & Ford, and the big Montero. I liked the way this truck drove best. But I do like a "tight" chassis better than a swaying, "unconnected" feeling ride. I got that from the Toyota & big SUV's. Its accelleration is good. We have never had a problem with onramps or passing uphill. And I like the transmission. It downshifts when I want it to, and holds the gear for as long as I want it to (almost reads my mind). I hate automatics that upshift too early. The build quality seems to be top notch, too, almost comparable to our 2002 Honda Odyssey. There are no rattles, odd noises, or anything to complain about.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Nice SUV!

gsx050, 05/10/2002
XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So far so good! It does feel a bit underpowered even with the 3.5 liter engine, but I guess I'm not expecting a race car either. It seems to hold highway speeds very well and doesn't bounce you around like some other truck based SUV's will. To me, it's perfect for a "mostly on the road" SUV with it's softer spring rates, etc. (I can't remember the last time I needed to "climb over a boulder"). Anyway, I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that isn't chasing billy goats up the sides of mountains!

4.75 out of 5 stars

My Favorite SUV

Dugan, 09/15/2009
XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my XLS! Handles great, hardly feel when it shifts. The A/C is outstanding, I'm in marching band and after our 4 hour practices in the hot sun, getting in this A/C is great - it gets cold quickly.

4.38 out of 5 stars