Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Nice SUV
By njbill1

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The styling of the Mitsubishi Montero Sport is excellent. I compared it to the Toyota 4-Runner and Nissan Pathfinder and found it to be much nicer looking. This is my first Mitsubishi but I have two friends who swear by their reliability. So far, I am very pleased with the quality of the vehicle.

All wheel drive is nice. I am getting 20 mpg on the highway in AWD mode. This seems good to me.

None.

Great Off-Road Vehicle
By James

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although not a power-wagon on the highway, my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD has been the best off-road vehicle I have ever owned, and the list is long. I have not been able to get this vehicle stuck, and I have driven it into some areas I had no reason being in. I especially enjoy pulling Jeeps out of trouble, then telling them I never shifted into full 4WD. The expressions on the owners' faces are priceless.

The off-road ability is tops. The stock ground clearance is plenty in most off-road situations. The interior is basic but comfortable.

Although there is plenty of torque for offroading, it could use a little more horsepower for the highway.

46,000 trouble free miles
By zio

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Mitsubishi Montero Sport new in 2003 as a 2002 leftover model. We drove several different brands, Nissan, Toyota, even a big Chevy & Ford, and the big Montero. I liked the way this truck drove best. But I do like a "tight" chassis better than a swaying, "unconnected" feeling ride. I got that from the Toyota & big SUV's. Its accelleration is good. We have never had a problem with onramps or passing uphill. And I like the transmission. It downshifts when I want it to, and holds the gear for as long as I want it to (almost reads my mind). I hate automatics that upshift too early. The build quality seems to be top notch, too, almost comparable to our 2002 Honda Odyssey. There are no rattles, odd noises, or anything to complain about.

The strong motor, well thought out interior, good stereo, good SUV looks (no gimicky junk). And it has no power seats, which believe it or not I prefer. AWD is great (it never looses traction pulling out of wet driveways into fast traffic). Also, nice dark factory window tint.

The center console between the front seats is a tad flimsy, but it has held up so far to our kids climbing on it almost daily. The high beams aren't much better than the lows.

2002 Montero Sport
By ty

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I found it got very good gas mileage for an SUV if taken care of. After 50,000 miles, it was still getting around 18-20 mpg. It was fun to drive and worked well through several winter storms. I enjoyed having this truck!

I loved the options of several 4WD settings and it worked well in hard winters. I LOVED the appearance. It never let us down.

It had a very bumpy ride and a wide turning radius compared with the other SUVs that I've driven. Having two drinks (fast food cups) in the front cupholders was frustrating as you could not pick up one without popping the other's lid off.

Cute SUV
By shopnbarefoot

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is great for a young, smaller family. It's very cute, functional and drives nicely. It's only limitation is the lack of backseat room for people 5 feet or taller. The cargo space exceeded everything I ever needed with 3 growing boys. Did I say it is so cute?!

The looks and standard sound system are nice! I love the cargo space.

It needs more back seat leg room, maybe even widen the whole thing a foot or so.