Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

My Montero Sport
By Anthony Ampudia

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So far the SUV has been very good. I had to replace the front pinion shaft seal on the differential but other than that I have no complaints. It is big enough for my family and powerful enough to tow our camper. The only thing I do not like about it is that both front and rear bumpers are not metal and thus can be easily damaged by other vehicles while parallel parking.

Handling, cargo space, comfort.

Should have a factory tow hitch and metal bumpers, roof rack should have cross members.

Long Term Montero Sport Report
By audioguy

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got burned on a used minivan and had to quickly trade for something else. Mitsubishi had a large financial incentive on the '02 Montero Sport (which hurt them later on) so I bought one. While my wife can have the luxury and creature comforts in her ride, I use my car to get me where I want to go. And based on that alone, the Montero Sport does that reasonably well. It's basic transportation, nothing more or less. Its ride is OK, nothing spectacular. The interior comfort is OK, nothing spectacular. The engine and tranny are OK, nothing spectacular. It's a gas hog. I wrecked it in 2004 and it was expensive to fix the front end. I hope to get 125,000 miles out of it.

The back is roomy and I like the hidden storage trays. With the rear seats down I can haul a lot of stuff. The car sits much higher than a lot of SUVs.

It needs more power and better gas mileage. The V6 engine just doesn't have the guts. The radio, while sensitive is not particularly good sounding, that's something important to me. The speakers could be better placed and it needs better resale value.

Excellent Family Vehicle
By xochimahuac

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV a month before having our first baby and we love it. It has a huge trunk to put everything we need to travel with the baby, and it is quite comfortable. It hasn't had any problems and the body style and alloys make it look very nice.

The huge trunk, comfort, body style, and options provided by the XLS package such as the external temp display and compass. Also, the handles on the front side bars (beside the windshield) make it very easy to get into (especially for pregnant women!).

Give it better gas mileage.

Awesome so far
By kgoodsuv

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm a junior in high school and i drive a black '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It is my second vehicle. I have always loved the look of these SUVs. I think they have an awesome bold masculine look. I feel really safe when I'm driving it and it's really comfortable. I drive a lot to go see family in other areas of the state for long amounts of time, and I never get a sore back or anything. It's like sitting in the lay z boy at home. The ride is not insanely smooth like a Lexus or a Lincoln, but it's nothing like the Isuzu Rodeo that I test drove, which was so uncomfortable. I felt like I was riding my bike when I drove the Rodeo. Before this, I drove a '00 Civic so the gas milage is total opposite, but it is not bad for an SUV. I love it

The appearence! They are beautifullll. I also like the great stock sound system. This car is amazing for Northern Iowa winters with its AWD. The seats are very comfortable. I trust the quality and safety.

I prove the gas mileage, but I'm not complaining. If you're driving an SUV, know what you're getting yourself into. Don't expect it to have the same gas mileage as a moped.

Just Okay
By Taxi driver

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I find this Montero Sport to be just okay. It rides rough, even with new tires and alignment. It is very noisy with the back windows down at speeds greater than 35 mph. The V6 engine is ok, but it does not have much power. Also, the back seat doesn't have much room. I bought it for traveling with the kids, but am very disappointed.