Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

underpowered
By elewsader

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been overly reliable but utterly boring, we've had this car since new and it's rarely had any issues which has been great, but I regret not getting the 3.5 liter as this has no power when you put people in the car, it's designed for people under 5'10 since proper posture for anyone taller requires you to hunch over to see out the windows, you also need to squeeze into the doors, there's not enough cup holders, no ample storage. I know these are popular for off-road use and that's the only thing they'd be good for, it's uncomfortable and shouldn't be allowed to transport more than three small adults.

6g72 rock solid engine, awd/4wd, and big tires.

a V8, bigger windows, wider, longer, and overall a different SUV.

My Favorite SUV
By Dugan

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my XLS! Handles great, hardly feel when it shifts. The A/C is outstanding, I'm in marching band and after our 4 hour practices in the hot sun, getting in this A/C is great - it gets cold quickly.

Easy to Maintain, Easy to tune to look like it's out of the FAST and the Furious, easy to clean.

Subwoofer, heated mirrors, and fog lights.

2002 Montero sport
By Kinsella

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great SUV for my family. Very reliable and fun to drive. I wish they would bring back the design.

Fun to drive.

Wiper control is hard to get at when you driving down the road.

Rides Comfortably
By Charles

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted an SUV to do some occasional hauling of things that wouldn't fit in the back seat of a car. But I also wanted a smooth ride like a car. I found it in this Montero Sport. I bought it used with 33000 miles and it now has 74000. The only thing that I've had to replace were the front wheel bearings and original tires. I've been very pleased with the reliabilty, smooth ride and 18-19 MPG with the 3.5 liter engine.

The looks and the smooth ride.

Thermostat for the AC/heater so you can set it to a temperature. Improved gear ratio on transmission -- sluggish in low gears.

Great Good Looking Car
By loveshercar

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased when my daughter was learning to drive. We liked it so much that we took it on most trips to sporting tournaments, etc. The red color is so pretty going down the road, and we liked the way you could see everything better riding up higher compared to the cars. This cars has been trouble free and we have almost 100K. Nice engine power and ride. My daughter is loving it at college now. It should last her even after that!

Style and color and room to store everything in the back. Riding up higher and low maintenance.

Stretch it out a little for even more interior room. The engine can handle it!