Used 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

Fantastic Car!!!
By keatz85

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After my first car, a Pontiac that gave me nothing but trouble, I wanted to get a foreign car that was dependable and affordable.
The Mirage hit a home run.
Drove it for 7 years and 122,000 miles. Barely put any money into it except for normal maintenance.
Parts starting wearing out more around 170k miles but what do you expect?
Liked this Mitsubishi so much I decided to upgrade to a newer Galant.
So far it's awesome as well.
This car's value is one of the best, if not the best.
If you can find one with 100k miles or so, i'd say you're good to go for several years.

Cost, MPG, looks good.

Cup holders aren't good, I didn't have cruise, and there's only one power adapter.

undisputed champ car
By skyyfish

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I are both in our early 30's.
While Im on my 6th car. This is still her very 1st car. And its not because she doesnt have fun driving it! I am amazed by this car! The odometer now says 267,000 and its all original. just easy standard maintainance. It just blows my supposedly better vehicle choices away. Thank You Mitsu!

Longevity, Ease of maintainance.

Better Cup Holders?! lol

Underrated and underappreciated
By manythemiles

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car used in December 2011 with 144k on the odometer. Have driven the car 10k since purchase and am very pleased with it. Car gets very good gas mileage and has so far proven to be reliable and simple to maintain. All required maintenance can be done by anyone who has a basic knowledge of cars. Engine is well laid out and the small engine allows easy access to most components. Interior materials are of high quality and would rival the best. Dashboard layout isn't terrible, but I would've appreciated a higher radio placement. Cupholder is small and it's effectiveness can vary. Blocks radio. Overall though, I think I will be holding onto this one for a while. Very satisfied overall.

folding rear seat, manueverability and gas mileage.

Dash layout could have been improved. Would have liked to have a sliding coin tray on driver's side similar to Honda or Toyota. Also whould have liked to have an O/D on and off switch on the shifter, as well as a shift lock override. Cupholders should be placed behind the shifter.

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Sedan
By herrstrauss

Hi,

I purchased my 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Sedan back in August, of 2011.
I paid $1,500.00 cash for the car, the odometer read 160,000 miles, I thought I was buying a dying car, or a car on the verge of death.
(at the time I knew nothing about Mitsubishi).
But this car has been anything but a dying car, it has been a great first car.
I've even gone as far as naming my car buster.
This is a terrific starter car for anyone, old, middle aged, or young.
Almost little to no maintenance, get in and drive.
This car has never let me down.
The Japanese really built an amazing car.
I personally thank Mitsubishi motors for building a superb vehicle that was built with quality in mind.

I'm fine with everything. The handling is surprisingly good. Great gas mileage. I fill up a tank of gas once a week, and can go about 275-300 miles on a full tank of gas, speeding and driving like a nut in the city.

The car should be a little bigger, have power seats, and windows, and the engine a little stronger, otherwise a great car.

Indestructible
By jimcsmith1988

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Astonishingly reliable- I purchased in 2011 used, and within three days a wind storm dropped a 5000 pound tree on the hood. After chopping the tree up, the car took off as if nothing happened. With a mileage intensive job, I've been heaping miles on it without issue. Just swapped out the timing belt after 100K miles to be safe, but it gave no indication that it needed it. It is small, and I'd recommend the 4 door. The mileage is beyond incredible, I get somewhere between 30-35MPG on average, and that's with a 10 year old automatic setup. The pickup is not fast, but it can maintain 90MPH on the highway without issue. I smiled a bit when I overtook a new Challenger on the interstate.

Fuel economy, reliable components, hood that can apparently repair itself.

Nothing that Mitsubishi didn't include in the successor vehicle, the Lancer :)