Used 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Reliable
By Jules

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Lancer ES new. I drive to work 33 miles one way mostly highway miles and average about 31 - 34 miles per gallon. I love my little car. It is a five speed and handles great in the winter snow. The only maintenance I have done is change the oil, had the belts changed at 100,000. I just had my spark plugs changed at $115,000, you think the dealer would have told me every 30,000 miles for the plugs, since that is where my oil changes are done. I have never had a more reliable car. It still runs like new.

I love the dark gray color with the silver grill. I'm a happy camper as long as I have a CD player. Also I like all the extras you got in this car, electric windows and door locks.

I wish my car had a split backseat where I could get into the trunk from the backseat.

Some problems
By Laura

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and I do put a lot of miles on it annually. It ran great initially, but since I hit 90,000 miles I've had to put about $2,000 in to repairs. front and rear axle, exhaust system, break pads and shoes 3-4 times in the last two years, transmission, etc. It is also extremely loud, the external noise I can hear with the windows rolled up is kind of ridiculous. It is extremely comfortable to sit in and fun to drive but not worth it anymore. Also, as I work in a city and have to parallel park, my car gets bumped around a lot be less contentious drivers. The thing dents as easily as a soda can! There's a dent from someone having leaned against it!

Comfort, gas mileage (about 28 highway,) the way it looked (before the dents.)

*see review

Dissatisfied
By 2003 Lancer

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 03 Lancer for 5 years now, and I only have 40,600 miles on it. Just recently the Horn-Pad assembly stopped working, is malfunctioning. Because it is connected with the airbags and steering component, I have to get the entire component replaced, which has cost me over $1200. Another unfortunate thing is that the part is not made in the U.S. The part had to be placed on backorder from Japan - not too happy about that!

Good ride
By threetri

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a good car in the two and a half years I have had it. I have only had to replace the front left strut at 26000 miles because of speed bumps and crappy roads. I put an K&N air filter and an aftermarket exhaust on and I get 38 miles to the gallon on the freeway. It's not the fastest car, but sure is fun to drive.

Red gauges, rims, handling, gas mileage, reliability, bright headlights.

Better paint job, some more power.

My Super Car
By Jr Evo

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Lancer is a great car to modify. A lot of people complain that it is lacks prower, but all it needs is a high flow cat and muffler and a cold air intake with light rims and ngk iridium plugs. I'm doing 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds.

The custom EVO look.