Used 2000 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Galant

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES Cheap Parts
By Galant ES

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

This car only has 73,000 miles on it and it runs great but, the parts are way too cheap and the value goes down like a rock in water. I see one of these cars in every corner. They are very common. Exterior parts aren't glued too well. The interior parts are aren't either. Not lots of room in the back. I've seen lots of these cars with the exterior paint fading. To be honest I do not think this car is one of the safest out there. Besides all that, the transmission is great I've had no mechanical problems with it. Just the brakes. Ive painted it once already. This is like a Honda except it has cheap plastic parts.

Sunroof, and that's about it.

It needs better quality on the parts. Basically make this car better so the value does not drop so fast.

She Got the Job Done
By Brade

2000 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

Well, I finally did it. I had a little fender mender with ole Bessie Lou, and she was totaled. But this was a fantastic car. I bought it new in '99 and it almost made it to ten years. I've always really liked the styling, especially for its class, and it proved to be very reliable too. Only routine maintenance (oil change, timing belt, brakes, tires, hoses) that never cost much. The only issues I had were build quality with the glove box (had to replace the latch) and the blinker switch that was weak plastic and finally snapped after 8 years (but it still worked). So if you see one of these on the cheap, hey, you could do a lot worse.

The styling and the comfort - both in ride quality and the comfort of the seats.

Aforementioned build quality of glove box and blinker switch. Oh, and these models are notorious for the easy-to-lose wheel covers. Buy some aftermarket ones and problem solved.

Great car
By maurice

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Bought mine in 2001 with 10000 miles. Now at 182000 and still going strong. Every couple of years It suddenly needs a new battery. I don't know why, but don't care, I have had no other issues with the car. I was going to trade it in, but my wife talked me out of it because it is such a low maintenance car. I replaced the radiator because of a small leak, do my regular services after they are due and change the oil every 5-7000 miles. The timing belt takes me about a half hour to replace and I have done it twice just as a preventative thing. It is not the prettiest car due to a couple south Florida hurricanes and I will probably repaint it soon.

Easy to do maintenance if you have basic skills. Comfortable on long trips which me and/or my wife take plenty of.

Better fuel economy, though the listed economy on this site is much less than what I get.

Fun to drive but has serious problems
By Pete from NY

2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in Jan. ’01. It was great for the first 4-5 years. Fun to drive, great pickup and sound system. Traction control works great in the snow. I did all required maintenance at the dealership. First, the horn stopped working (sensor in the steering wheel had to be replaced in ’04). Then the hood started rusting from the inside out together with several seams in the engine compartment. The hood was replaced by Mitsubishi but I had to pay for paining and installation ($400). The struts had to be replaced at 105,000 miles together with wheel bearings and other parts of the front suspension (total cost with new tires $2,200). The car is only worth $3,500.

Nice pickup, sound system, looks, all power

Better rust proofing, it needs a light in the middle of the passenger cabin, better quality of the leather on the seats (mine started cracking after about 4 years)

Galant ES
By kh

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my Galant ES new in August of 2000. After 8 years and 170k miles, this car still runs great. I still get 27-28 MPG and it starts as easily as it did in 2000. The only maintenance I have done besides brakes, tires, oil, is timing belt at 85k and plugs & wires at about 100k. I am starting to get some rust on wheel wells and around the bottom of the doors, but Ohio winters will do that to a car. When this car finally does quit running, I will definitely consider another Galant, just wish they got a little better MPG.

RELIABILITY. Just as reliable as the more expensive Toyota and Honda, in my opinion. Many people cite resale value with Toyota and Honda vs. the Mitsu, but, if you drive them until they quit, does it really matter?

I wish the Galant would get better gas mileage. As gas prices have increased significantly since I purchased my 2000 model, this is the only area that might keep me from purchasing another one.