Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 195 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Awesome
By Ruben

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 03 Eclipse used with 35,000 miles in 2005. It currently has 115,000 miles. This car has been a blast to drive. It hasn't given me problems other than routine maintenance (brakes, tires, battery, belts). The sportronic transmission is awesome, although I don't use it as much. I am selling it now because I need a bigger vehicle. Will miss it for sure. Would buy a new eclipse again if the body style on newer eclipses are similar to the 00-05 models.

Sportronic transmission, exterior style, interior comfort, sporty look, exhaust sound!

Bigger back seat, mp3 input, lighter doors and add a timing chain instead of timing belt.

Attention getter
By good to go

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My car prior to this was a 95 Saturn sc so you can imagine the power jump. Since then I have done little things to mod it; intake, headers, and ground effects for a clean look and it has been nothing but easy to work with. Two other buddies and I took it to fl from wi and we averaged 35 mpg, the person in the back had to suffer but it made for a very successful spring break. Now it has about 70,000 and there has not been a problem with it yet! Also I have always owned manuals all of my life and this one has a weird gear set up which makes shifting from 1st gear to second gear hard for a smooth ride but I still have had no complaints haha.

Moon roof, I don't think that I could ever buy a car without a moon roof. The overall appearance is really a head Turner. And it is not hard to make this car look very expensive without the price tag. Reliability is another again I have not had a problem with this car but then again I am only at 70k.

This is a few things that mitsubishi could have not skimped on; the brakes they warp pretty quickly, and I did have a huge problem with the rear shocks which makes this car kind of scary to take the Wi corners. The last thing is the stereo does the center speaker really have to cost 90$ to replace!!

Great gas mileage!!!!
By Wilhite

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage! I get an average of 32.5 miles per gallon! My car is a V6 and it really packs a punch! Gets lots of compliments. Glad I purchased it!

Great gas mileage!

Better cushioned lower lumbar in the front seats. Inside door panels has a strip that's 'painted', and it has been flaking off.

Underrated Car
By kobo1d

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Eclipse GTS Automatic for a little over 4 years and it has been a very nice car. Bought used, still under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, I've driven it hard (currently at 67000 miles) and have had very little issues with it. The only problems with the car have been some electrical issues: The factory 6-CD player completely stopped working, refusing to play and making a horrible crunching sound constantly. Mitsubishi wanted $450 to fix it, so I just replaced it with an aftermarket setup. The switch for the passenger side window only rolls the window up, not down, so the passenger has to roll down their own window. Sunroof switch is touchy. And yes, the plastic scratches easy.

Decently fast performance, it's cheaper (used) than a WRX, RSX-S, SRT-4 of the same vintage. The closest competitors by price/performance are the Celica GT-S, Tiburon, Civic Si. I'm too tall to fit in the tiny Celica, and the Tiburon and Civic Si are just too slow. Comfortable, fun, and great value.

Driving with a lead foot and the 4spd auto, I get ~20 mpg. Not a good "tuner" car, if you care about that kind of thing (heavy+FWD). If you need a daily driver that's also a lot of fun, excellent choice. Some people won't like the low seating position, or turning radius, blind spots. Who cares? B+ Car.

My fun car
By kay juneau

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my car. IT has been excellent but one thing I don't like is the whole dash cracked on it other than that I would not give nothing for my car ever. I like my eclipse so much I kept it and bought myself another one, a 2007. I hope that I will enjoy it as much as my 2003 I still have.

Everything but the dash.

The manufacturer needs to improve the dash material so it don't crack in prolonged sun light.