Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Fast and Fun, but FULL of Problems
By Leepoffaith

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is good looking and very fun to drive, BUT it is plagued with problems. I've replaced the oil sensor ($125), had the brakes re-surfaced 4 times (stock rotors are horrible), motor mounts, had to have the heat shield removed because it was making noises, there are rattles all over the car, I have 2 bent rims (each would be $400 from the dealer), the stock tires are junk, the clutch rattles when disengaged in netrual, and the transmission likes to grind for no reason! Not to mention the bearing rattle that everyone has. Do your research! There are many websites out there that will tell you all the problems these cars have. Listen to what they say and then make your own decision

The outside temperature gauge, 4-disc in-dash CD- Player, fast V6 engine, and great looks.

Better brake rotors, harder rims that don't bend, better clutches that don't rattle.

Trash the Aston Martin, James Bond!
By The Fox

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace an aging, 10 year old Ford Probe. My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT has turned out to be a true driver's car and equal to the Ford / Mazda. I've had it for 5+ years and am still learning more about how to unlock the secrets of handling and all out performance.There are fewer places now where you can open her up but, when I do, it performs like a true GT car. I'm 58 and started out driving MG's, this car is vastly superior to what those oxcarts could ever have been had they evolved to the present and embodies what a true GT car should be. I'm still enjoying it, in fact I just bought new mags for it. James Bond wasted her Majesty's money on the Aston, he should have gone with the Eclipse.

The power to weight ratio. How it is comfortable and solid at 100+ mph. The great build quality and value.

Get rid of that stupid spoiler, indentations along the sides remind me of the old Ford Tri-motor airplane, it needs dual exhaust like the Tiburon.

HOT ROD TO GO!
By beatles4ever

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second red Eclipse. I originally purchased one in 1996,and had no problems. My 2001 GT is even better looking than my first! I am in my 50's, but feel like a teenager all over again in this sporty car. The car still turns people's heads, and everyone assumes it's a high dollar auto! Four years later, and everyone still asks, "Is your car new???"

Take off is fast! Love the V-ROOM sound of the motor when accelerating! Love the second looks this car still gets as I cruise down the street! Like the big LCD display of the clock for my weakening eyes! Love the cockpit look and feel of the sleek, lit dashboard.

Plastic, flimsy bumpers damage ever so easily. Rear spoiler blocks view. Red paint job scratches too easily. Sunroof sticks. Passenger seat needs to be able to raise just like the driver's side. Brakes have squealed since day one. Very difficult to get in and out of cramped back seat.

Best car ever (under 30k)
By Subotai

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car like no other. It is fast, comfortable, fast, looks awesome and is really fast. I love this car and always will.

The vroom vroom. There is a ton of high end torque in this car which means that there is a bunch of power to call upon at any time if you need/want it. Nice.

What could every car use? A little more horsepower!

Days Geaux By
By Frank1963

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car to drive, no hassles,
no problems thus far.

The techtronix shifting is great when you need that extra "umph" passing or getting up an on ramp.

I'd say any improvements that I could think of can be found in the slightly more expensive GT models.