Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Best car in the world... on a dry road
By thehouseattheend

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved my eclipse. I bought it brand new in June 2001. I have over 217,000 miles on it. Last summer I had to replace half an axle. The radio stopped coming in and the a/c stopped working at about 90,000. But nothing else major and I am rough on my vehicles. I hear if you put weight in the back it handles better in the snow. I recently crashed it. I am having a hard time finding another vehicle. I might just buy another eclipse. It is very comfortable to drive. I am 5'11" and not a stick girl either. Be careful with the black paint. It discolors and peels off and the dealers won't deal with it.

Cockpit design, fast takeoff, great handling, decent mpg

Paint discoloration, not a winter vehicle

Fun, But Needs A Little More
By Cat

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my girl, but she just doesn't have as much "Giddy-Up And GO" (until about 45 mph)as I would prefer. I read some other reviews that said the rear spoiler and small back window make it impossible to back up. WRONG! The window is HUGE, and I've never had a problem backing out in almost 2 years. She HUGS curves, and it's easy to make the tires squeal if you pull the wheel a little to one way (XD), even in the automatic. Sportronic is a MUST! SO FUN! Gas mileage is decent. The car just like great stock, and really shines with a few simple tweaks (darker tinting makes a bigger difference than you think!!!)

Sunroof, interior and exterior design, ease of upgrades, affordable, power after a bit of a sluggish start, stock exhaust sound. It's a wonderful first car

Sluggish start (MORE POWER), rattles (mechanical build). Gas mileage SUCKS if your the slightest bit late on the oil change or don't use some type of injector cleaner. Hatch is very heavy, almost can't lift with one hand (and I'm strong). Remote eats batteries. TINY back seat, but HUGE trunk

Fun, powerful car!
By Jimmy973

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car about a month ago and all I can say is wow. This car has performance, style, and a price that had it sitting in my driveway. Acceleration is great from the V6 paired with the 5 speed! I find myself punching the gas for no reason other than good clean fun.

Gauges are nice, also 4 disc changer pumps the sound.

Well AWD paired with the 2009's 3.8 L would sure be nice! Even with the 3.0 L it's hard to get a good clean takeoff without spinning my tires.

2001 Eclipse GT
By Jason

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I joined the Air Force and it has been very reliable. I have driving across country three times and have never had a problem. The only down fall is that the car takes premium fuel only and it costs me 50 dollars to fill up. Was very easy to find performance parts for, and the car handles them very well.

Leather seats, gauges, roomy trunk

Make a line of Eclipses with 3.0L V6 DOHC twin turbo engines along with AWD.

Almost 7 years and going strong
By Rick

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a dealer demo in late 01 with about 5,000 miles on it. We have really enjoyed every year we owned it. I'm over 6 feet tall and fit comfortably. We now have about 85,000 and have no plans on getting rid of it. We have not had any major problems- just regular maintenance. The work done so far is: at 80,000, we replaced the motor mounts and now it runs as smooth as it did when new. At about 70,000, we replaced the radiator and some hoses. We had to replace the brake pads a few times but that pretty much was it. The A/C in the AZ 120 summers. The auto trans is great. Even in the AZ heat, the convertible top is still in great shape. The new Eagle tires are great.

Sporty looks (for 2001) and good performance at a value price. Solid construction and no major mechanical defects.

Rear visability sucks. Big side roof support beams, very small rear window, and large spoiler makes backing up a task. Would love to get better gas mileage (24 average), but the power would suffer. Can't have it all I guess!