Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Poor thing...
By jenni63

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 01 Eclipse since I was 16, about 6 years now. I must say, I do love my car and have done my best to take care of it, but it loves the shop too much. Every year I have to replace the battery, and everytime it's gone out getting it to the shop is a piece of work. Supposedly the computer has to 'be reset' otherwise it completely shuts off while driving. We've replaced the battery cables, etc. but it still eats through the battery. Fortunately (from an optimistic view), when something breaks, other things (unrelated) break as well so it's killing two birds with one stone, but it's a hassle. Everyone I've known who had this car has already had to trade it in from far too many issues.

I love the design. I'd always wanted this body style Eclipse, and lucked up when I found it. It's comfortable in the front seats, handling and performance is great. Lots of options for customizing. Put pipes on mine years ago and the sound is amazing. I feel really safe when I drive it and it's not too small. Actually have fit in a 14' trampoline and drove fairly comfortably, of course I can't say so much for my 6'2 passenger.

One of my big gripes is the cheapy interior plastic. Went to open my moonroof once and the plastic crumbled and got everywhere. The backseat is not meant for passengers above 4'5 and even then the shape of the seats are curved in a way that carseats wobble - a little nerve wrecking when you're toting around excited little kids. A friend was trying to get in the back one day and bumped the middle console and, back to the cheapy plastic, it broke so now that wobbles. Crazy ex also decided to hit the dash one day and now have a pretty good sized dent in said cheapy plastic. Trunk hydraulics are spotty making it hard to open and things routinely break, say every 3 months? My baby loves the shop!

Great Car
By mitsubishiGTdriver

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years and bought it with 73,000 miles on it. It now has 148,000 miles on it. The v6 is torquey but still good on fuel. The manual transmission shifts smooth but has a direct feel. It leans a bit more than I'd like in sharper turns but never feels unsafe. I've never had to do any major repairs to this car. Only thing that broke was the EGR solenoid. A $40 part from the dealer. Very fun to drive and easy to to long trips in. I drive it 100 miles round trip everyday. I average about 28.5 mpg.

V6 engine power, manual transmission, low seating position

Add a turbo! Make it lighter. 3250 lbs is a little hefty for a car this size. I guess it doesn't compare to the 3600 lbs the new one is though.

Fun to drive
By jason

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Eclipse gt at the beginning of summer and ive loved it all. it has a body kit, k and n cold air intake, stage 2 clutch custom paint tinted windows subs and an invadia exhaust system with bigger piping from the cat to the muffler. I love driving the car around and it gets good gas mileage especially with the cold air. Insurance on them is a little high but it is a sports car. in the end if you plan on having some fun with the car and adding on some things its great and i say go for it.

The car could really use some better materials inside. I've also heard of the factory paint being bad, i bought mine with custom paint on it, but i have heard a lot of complaints. store it indoors.

Love it so far
By B Tator

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

i purchased this car about a month and a half ago and i love just about everything about it and there's so many things you can customize on it with aftermarket parts, i would recommend it to anyone thinking about getting this car

infinity system

First gear revs out to quick

Garbage
By Ghostman

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Got this car for my girl from the El Cajon dealership, first mistake. Paid too much for it and the people at dealership are chumps and don't know anything. ECM died a few months after we bought it thankfully it was under warranty. Dashboard WILL eventually crack due to cheap thin plastic, paint is fading fast(car is 2001!)bottom weather strip came off back window, shocks don't work well for the glass hatch. Other then that it looks alright and drives smooth and quick. For a car with under 60k and the price we paid there should be way less problems.

Sporty look, it's quick

Better quality paint(Mitsubishi),better gas mileage, low 20s (it's a four cylinder!)