Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

107,000 miles and it's a beast!
By Jonathan

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

The eclipse is my favorite car. At first I wanted the gts but since it was a 6 cyl I held off but I tuned this baby up I got a full cat back exhaust and cold air intake on it which makes it fly like the wind. The car is really fun to drive and handles great. My only problem was that I had to replace the slave cylinder maybe the guy who had it before me did not know how to drive but I had it for almost 2 years and I love it.

The performance and handling. great sound system. Fun to drive!

Cup holders are oddly placed but that is it.

200,000 miles - here I come
By NowAPorscheDrivertoo

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Picked up my Solano Red GT in 2000 and I went thru 2 faulty side air bag changes in the very first month. I almost felt that I landed a lemon but was convinced other wise by Mitsu techs. Well, I will celebrate 8yrs of owning this marvelous car (my first ever new sports car) this 7th of June. Design - The exterior SST styling in this 3G GT - in my opinion - beats any G of the Eclipse.Performance - V6 with 205 hp - enough to pass quickly and stretch the odo (once in a while) Fuel economy - 26-27 avg on regular gas. Driving a 2000 Boxster S for the last 2 yrs, but the Mitsu is my daily road warrior with 157,000 mi and going...

Ergonomic seating and access to the dashboard controls. Roomy for a sports coupe too.

Turning radius is quite bad so anticipate it to be larger than even SUVs or Trucks. Cup holders could have been better located. Rear view limited though so careful when you backup or parallel park.

Over 115,00 and still running
By Toledored

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I was third owner and bought with 68,000miles. It is 4 years later and over 115,000 miles and running great! Very impressed with its high performance and handling. Still zippy and fun to drive; handles very well in snow, as long as it's not too deep as the car sets low. Have had issues with aluminum rims and having to replace tires that won't seal the rims. Added a remote start so car heats quickly in cold. Had to replace shocks initially, but no problem in 4 years.

Sporty handling, interior held up well, decent factory stereo.

Better insulation to road noise; better placement of should harness seat belt as it cuts into neck on taller folks.

Fun but costly
By CoupeDriver

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I just sold my Mitsubishi Eclipse after owning it for 2.5 years. The repair costs for this car in the 2.5 years I owned it were equal to 90% of the purchase price of the car. I loved the car but just couldn't afford to keep paying for everything it needed done to it. At least it never stranded me. I miss my car; it was so much fun to drive.

Fun to drive; excellent sounding Infinity stereo system; looks great inside and out; reasonably fast.

Opening the hatchback is a 2-handed operation, a hassle when you have groceries in your hands--this should be simpler. RPM at highway speed limit too high. A 6th gear is needed. The ride is rough, at times brutal. The wheels are too soft; I had to replace them all from just one season's potholes.

Great Car!
By Skyler

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought it used at about 50,000 miles, and only had to replace the clutch and tires from the original. Believe it or not the brake pads have never been replaced in eight years! No major problems, only maintenance costs. Very reliable car. Alright in snow. And for some reason every girl that sees it falls in love with it. Thats never a bad thing. I drive all in the city and still get 25 mpg in the winter, and 28 in the winter.

I like the power it has, the V6. Sounds very nice, especially when straight piped. Exotic looking for the price. Nice shifting, never miss gear when at the track.

Heavier clutch. Stiffer suspension. More power, always can use more power. stiffer steering, and stiffer clutch.