Used 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

The best $7000 I ever spent
By Luke L

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

It was completely stock a 56 year old owned it, it had 87000 miles on it. I am the second owner! I get 20 mpg usually, LOL I am a lead foot. Make sure you replace your timing / balance shaft belt, tensioners, and water pump every 60k miles with oem parts. I would as a precaution if buying from a dealer go ahead and fork the 350 over to get it put on. The reason I rated the interior design an 8 is because the cup holder is not usable with a 5 spd with a 20 oz bottle. Don't buy ebay aftermarket turbos, get the real mhi evo 3 big 16g, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, apexi afc, and fuel pressure regulator. Set boost to 18psi, and then you will really feel the power. Stock clutch going at 90k

5 speed, Turbo, AWD, Bov! Small back seat gives you the excuse not to give people rides when you don't want to LOL

Better cup holder location, deeper center console.

GSX A Great Car
By GSX

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

We have had this car for a long time and my wife and I both love it. The AWD, low to the ground and powerful engine, all add up to the closest thing to the feel of a true muscle car in this age that I have seen. We bought it mainly because of the safety of AWD and that has paid off as the weather where we live makes control a real concern. This car has been great in that regard. It can be a bit hard on your driving record as you will have a hard time not putting your foot in it. And oh boy, when you do.

AWD, strong reliable motor, reliability, low maintenance.

Can't think of anything other than it would be nice if they rethought the little plastic plugs that hold the panel up when you open the hatch. They tend to wear and fall out.

My 1997 GS-T
By dan

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car at 117,000. In just over a year and a half it's at 142,000. At 142,000, the factory turbo is still working just fine. Just make sure you don't miss the regular oil changes and keep up with your maintenance and the car will continue to work well for you. At 10 years old, there is no rust and everything works. Overall a great car, though keep in mind that with a turbo your maintenance is higher because so much of the engine bay is used up making it harder to remove and get to necessary parts.

Turbo of course, low profile, color (red), spoiler, fascia, 46g3 engine.

AWD should have been standard on this car considering the turbo. Too much horsepower for a 2WD, not that I'm complaining (oversteer is too much at times), not great in rain or snow, however keeping it in 1st or 2nd keeps it under control. Stronger headlights, stiffer suspension.

Mutsubishi Eclipse - Best Car
By Bernier65

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the best car that I have ever had in my 37 years. It's fast, comfortable, and gets pretty good gas mileage. The price is also great.

The 2.0 DHOC turbo engine.

I like the way it is and would not change a thing!

You're gonna like it.
By aLzA~

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my Eclipse almost 2 years now. This car is really good and fun to drive. I use it for everyday driving so don't be afraid to do so youeself.

The style, great ride, and good feeling.

The interior trim could ne nicer. It needs bigger wheels and more power from the base engine.