Used 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Middle Age Toy
By InspectorDave

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my 98 GS-T Spyder for my 50th b'day. Very fun to drive but pushing the clutch in Atlanta traffic got old. Finally let my teenage son drive it to school for his Sr year. Had to have the valve guide replace, seems to be typical for Mits. engines. Recently the throw out bearing seized up so had to cough up $900 for new clutch kit. Just started driving again and enjoying it while summer traffic is a little lighter. Yes, the front speakers went awol but I replaced with inexpensive set of Jensens from Auto Zone that sound great. Convertible top and brackets are now in need of repair.

the look, the turbo

better valve guides in all Mitsubishi engines.

Mitsubishi Junk
By unhappyowner

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

Leaked oil from day 1 & hole rubbed through the top from lack of support rail padding - dealer had it for 2 weeks. Factory radio went out in the 2nd year. Most of the interior plastic has cracked and has been replaced - some several times. Drivers sided door switch panel just fell down inside the door one day. No anti-seize used on the front hub splines, so I had to use an axle puller which destroyed them when they were required to be removed. $700+ dollars for a timing belt ever 60K miles. No drip edge on roof, so rain leaks in on seats when opening doors. Soft top and headliner had to be replaced after 4 years - went aftermarket from Kee tops and a local upholstery shop

Getting out of the vehicle alive.

Almost anything - take your pick. Never again.

Nice
By Marco

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Well I bought an eclipse syder gst with 48,000 miles, and I think the GS-T is reliable and also fast. I have won so many races, I picked up a lot of girls and I have no problems with it. When u first drive the gst it feels fast but then you don't even notice until you drive a normal eclipse. I think the eclipse spyder gst will last me for a long time.

the convertible top, the performance and the sound from the turbo.

tweeter from the rfom suxs, and needs less police attraction

Love my spyder!!!
By SD girl

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I love driving this car it has lots of power for a 4 cyl. I've been it 2 car accidents in this car. and it's really sturdy. I love it!!

Convertible

Fun and Reliable
By Adan

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I am the second owner of this car and the only thing I had to fix was the alternator and that was recently. My car has 140,000 miles on it and it still runs great. I didn't drive it for about two of the six years that I've had it, but I put roughly about 30,000 miles or more on it every other year. I wish it could last forever.

The exterior is the best thing on the car. I love the turbo because I had a GS model before and the GST has the power I needed.

The seats need to be made a bit more comfortable.