2011 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: I knew it was a mistake

2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte on

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart.
I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England.
All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion.
You buy them and drive them.
They are like purchasing an appliance.
We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine.
Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it.
This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and God knows what after that.
Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time.
Here's an update: the engine that replaced the one that had the timing chains fail, HAD ITS TIMING CHAIN FAIL! TWO ENGINES, SAME CAR LESS THAN 3 YEARS. BMW KNOWS IT SHOULD ISSUE A RECALL AND REFUSES. THIS IS A SAFETY HAZARD. WHEN THE TIMING CHAIN SNAPS, THE MINI IS INOPERABLE.
Bad Motor Works.

• Purchase cost
  • Resale value
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By w507w507
on 12/23/15 04:20 AM (PST)

Sorry to hear you had problems with the timing chain on your car. But I don't think it's very fair to nationalise its unreliability. The engine you bought is a Peugeot designed case (french) modified by German designers at BMW and manufactured in the UK. The UK builds over 2 million cars a year, many of them Japanese. I drive a 20 year old Land Rover defender manufactured in Africa, over obscene distances and terrain and it is built like a tank - not one problem that has left me in difficulty. Meanwhile I drove a 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 deep into the Kalahari (there are lions there) and suffered a battery explosion and was stranded for days before anyone came by and I could recover the vehicle. The Jeep is a big hard vehicle, it has it's faults but I'm not going to blame the whole of the USA for a faulty alternator regulator which was probably made in Japan...or Italy or some other place. Oh, and how about those Toyota recalls?