Used 2009 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Made me a customer for life
By Mini lover

2009 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I fell in love with first drive. I have always loved the look and idea of a MINI and I am a small car person. I bought this mini used 6 years ago with the basic mini with minimum features because it was what I could afford at the time. It was a stickshift. I loved driving it, it made driving fun again because I hate to drive at all. Then I became a mom and decided that I didnt want to buy a new car yet because I didnt want another car payment ( I dont like to drown in car debt). It was difficult to get my daughter in and out with the car seat but once she was old enough to climb in and was forward facing, it was fine. Overall very minimal cost as far as repairs, minor maintenance. The only thing that went wrong was my radiator got a crack because I drove it too rough in the snow and jumped a curb. I was going to keep it until it died but 2 weeks ago, it drowned. My car got stuck in a flood and was totaled due to hurricaine Matthew. Best part is, I got double the amount back for the car from insurance! It was paid off and still held a great value! Needless to say, Im buying another MINI! But Im getting a clubman ( better for kids).

Worst decision ever
By Dan

2009 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car never stops breaking. Every repair starts at $500 and Geo's up. There is always at least $1500 worth of work that needs to be done. Do not buy this car!

Maybe New But Not Ever Used
By Carly

2009 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2009 Mini Cooper w/ 92,000 miles on it-- major mistake. If you're set on a Mini like I was, only buy or lease a new one because when they are close to 100,000 miles they need lots of very expensive work.

Minis are super compact which means when a mechanic needs to get to say, the water pump, he has to take out other parts which results in much higher labor costs. Plus, the parts are expensive.

Bought it for $7500, put a couple thousand dollars into replacing the water pump, water pipe, radiator, thermostat, AC, brake rotors, and battery...and two years later could only get $1800 after the transmission went out.

I had it inspected prior to purchase and pretty much everything checked out, other than the mechanic saying I'd need new brake rotors.

Don't make the same mistake. Minis are SO fun and great for parking and gas, but the cost of repairs on an older Mini gets to be traumatizing. They're just not meant to be driven past 95,000 miles.

Don't buy a mini
By Bkearney

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Get bulletproof warranty or it will cost you dearly.

Very cool and fun - til it breaks and cost $$$$
By Mr. Brian

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The poor mans Porsche turns ugly as early problems (Turbo out - fixed under warranty) foreshadow a mixed future. At a mere 55k miles all hell breaks loose. They've got a winner IF they can ever fix reliability. Perhaps 2009 was a fluke? better do your research I decided to sell mine early for a LOSS!!!