Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

This is a fun but wacky little car!
By KarenZ

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Pros: handling fuel efficiency (my avg 30.4, I think) parking (mwah, ha ha!!!!!...that little space is mine all miiiiiine!) power/acceleration dash layout fit and finish reliability ipod-friendly ($12.00 male-male cord. Plugs right in...totally easy!) Cons: Very jerky acceleration Somewhat jerky braking The seat belt thing gets caught in the space where the door jamb is.I've tweaked my back/shoulder muscles a few times. Hate that! Awful cupholders. If you can get a soda cup out without crushing it, you are amazing and you should become a surgeon. Trunk locks when doors are locked. Even if you've already "popped" it. Annoying! Wind wiper controls stink. And only two intermittent speeds.

Parking, parking, parking. Hee hee hee!

Make the cupholders deep and looser.

More Fun than my 911's-Part II
By TPAMiniGuy

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 12000 plus miles the car is flawless..it gets better than sticker gas mileage..onboard computer displays your MPG in realtime and average...great feature...not a single problem ..average 36.5-39.5 ..it will get over 40 MPG if you drive it easy on the highway at 70...Sports car ride more firmly than a luxury car..It is incrediblely stable and safe at "highway plus" speeds...also has fantastic brakes..Tons of leg room..We plan to add a 2009 S Convertible so our 2008(yellow) will have a playmate...as soon as she decides on the color....If you're a car guy you'll love this car....If you not, you'll still love this car!

Tight Sports car feel and ride...lighting acceleration and race car cornering..very stable and safe on the highway..Terrific MPG and troublefree. Able to customize all the display setting and controls...features for the entire car ...IPOD radio Cute but very sporty.

A few more traditional gauges for water/oil temp/pressure.....

Short Lived Love Affair
By Ohioman

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

O.K., it's cute, fit well in my garage and was truly "fun to drive", but the novelty for us was over for us in a big hurry. It is a very small car, and while likely the best in its class, we found it cramped, noisey, rattley and poor riding, especially on road trips. The run-flat tires are bricks, the premium stereo was fair at best, it was nearly impossible to get comfortable (no,we aren't big people), and I really didn't care for the valve rattle at start-up on cold days. I switched to a Camry SE V6 which is (yes) faster, more refined, has far nicer/more of "everything", and for about the same money. If you need to drive regularly, long distances or with others, don't buy a Cooper

Looks, novelty, heated seats, DSC, big sunroof, BRG color and stripes, gen build quality and fun factor for quick around town trips.

Premium stereo was a waste and very disappointing. Fix valve lash problem at cold start up. Some body rattles. Armrest was very poorly engineered. Order rear fogs initially if you really want them. Understand that the car is very small before you order it.

A MINI That Give You Alot!
By Little Red Rocket

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had my MINI for about 15 months. I'd have more miles on it but living in sunny AZ, I love riding my Bikes. This is one 'fun' car! Almost takes me back to when I owned a BMW 2002Tii. I had the JCW Performance Kit installed. Yes it really makes a difference! Not so much wth the JCW Brembo Brakes. Save yourself some money and stay with the OEM. Just about everyplace I park my MINI, people compliment it. My wife has an 06 Miata MX-5. Both cars have almost the same performance stats, but really feel different. The MX-5 is so smooth and natural. The MINI feels like every second it looks for a fight! What fun! Watch out for the options you order A $23K car cost over $40K easily Have fun!

Uniqueness. I could order it any way I wanted. Nav-system and voice recognition are light years ahead of my Lexus. Very easy to use. Road feel and handling great! 0 mph to trouble in less than 6 seconds. Back has plenty of room for shopping. It has an 'identity' that other cars lack. ATTITUDE!!

Try to smooth out the 'torque steer' on acceleration, but no big deal. More power never hurts although with the JCW Perf Package, it really 'rocks'. With the automatic, display what gear I'm in all of the time rather than just 'D'. It only tells you what geat your in when you shift to manumatic mode

Short lived love affair
By Family Guy

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I custom ordered my Cooper S manual last spring, and sold it after only 9 months of ownership. It was certainly fast (one speeding ticket), nimble and fun to drive, but even my 8 year old daughter complained that the rear seating was too small and that "she didn't feel safe". I regularly drive 2- 3 hour trips and found this car to be harsh riding, noisy and rattley. The small tires and wheels were simply no match for the rough roads around Ohio and Michigan. My full-sized buddies complained bitterly about no leg room when they rode with me, whether in the front or back seats. Buy it for the city and only if you don't have kids.

Extreme power to size ratio, dual sunroof, very customizable, great styling, fit and finish.

It is what it is. Realize it is small and drive a few before you buy. Don't just fall in love with the looks, power or trendiness. Engine can be noisy on cold start-up. They need to do a better job sorting out the items that can rattle.