Used 2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Mini cooper S
By ccs8c

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My clutch went out at 14,000 miles, windows finicky (don't work all the time). Re the clutch: no explanation other than its my fault from Mini of North American and the dealer; I had to pay for the replacement less than a year after purchasing it. My previous clutches didn't burn out until 60,000-75,000 miles, so I don't understand this, but I won't buy another mini and will sell this one within the year.

Clutch, windows

Another Clutch failure
By Disappointed_in Mini

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second mini. The clutch went out in the first one after 2 1/ years years and only 22000 miles. The cause was determined to be a manufacture defect and was covered. My 2008 Mini S has only 10727 miles and is a standard transmission too. The clutch began slipping on this one. It is currently at the dealer and I am waiting to hear if the repairs are covered. I do not ride the clutch and do not drive aggressively or even need to shift that often (not a lot of stop and go traffic). I have read many posts on other sites about mini's and clutch problems. Buyer be ware!!!

Style. I love the retro look.

Improve the clutch and transmission quality. These should last longer than a few years.

One year in my Cooper
By Turbo S

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the car for little over a year now. It is an absolute BLAST to drive, and will always put a smile on your face. Fuel economy is phenomenal for a car this fast as well. Lots of cool features, like the folding mirrors, that are more fun the show of than functional, but fun either way. The pushbutton start is cool, but I wish it had the comfort access system. The leatherette looks nice, but I don't like the way it feels. All in all, for $25,550 and the included maintainance, its a lot of fun for the money.

FUN FUN FUN!!!! Handling is incredible, 6-speed stick is fun, turbo engine is a blast, unique style, panoramic sunroof, radio controls on the steering wheel, good seat bolsters, fuel economy.

Some of the ergonomics that were a complete pain at first I am now used to, but when you buy your first cooper, plan to spend a few HOURS getting to know the ins and outs of the controls. I hate the speedometer in the middle, but I just use the digital one above the steering wheel, so problem solve

Wild Maus (mouse)
By JimH

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second burgundy Mini. My first was a 1967 that I brought back from Europe. Both cars were/are go- carts. The '67 cornered better, but was underpowered. The '08 has the power but it overpowers the steering. No complaints, mine you! Lord, what a fun car to drive. By the way, the title refers to a carnival ride, "The Wild Maus." It would snap your head off your shoulders, if you weren't careful. Read the complaints: Bumpy ride: It is a sports car - dodge them. Limited space: drop the back seats and think again. Odd radio controls: It has a radio? - who knew! I love to hear it purr!

Third Gear: The exhaust resonance is perfect, you are going 50+ and you know that you have three more gears. Drop Down Seats: The thing becomes a mini stationwagon. 3 suitcases, boogie boards and a cooler- or a weeks load of groceries.

More dealerships is all I can think of. I do have some electronic bugs with auto up windows and the passenger airbag light - but my first visit to the dealer will handle those, I hope.

45,000 and still going!
By Sean Michael

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

OMFG THIS THING IS A BLAST!!! From the very get go I fell in love with a car my wife had suggested when I thought of getting a bug... I'm glad I went with the Mini. First of all I commute 184 Miles a day up and down from the mountains. Phx to Payson AZ of an elevation change of over 5000 ft. I needed something reliable and could handle the road and elements. This little car has sold me for LIFE! I love the Tech with the Sports handling. If you're thinking of buying your wasting precious time you could be driving. =)

Handling, Mileage (40.2), technologies (mp3 and bluetooth), The shear sexayness!

If they could make the mp3 interface more like an ipod it would ROCK! Also if could have the phones include some more American Manufactured Phones... Otherwise leave the Mini as it is, unless you can figure getting more MPG for the same power.